KeePass Sync

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: KeePass Sync

Postby Benji99 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Just wanted to also add that I also would really like sync capabilities with Keypass.
I've been a user of Keypass for many years and just switched to using Lastpass with Google Chrome.
Presently, I prefer to use Keypass to quickly lookup login info, or to keep non-web related information. Also I just like and very comfortable with it's interface.
What would be awesome would be the ability to sync a folder in Keypass with Lastpass. I also like the idea of having a constantly updated copy of my passwords locally on my system.

Note to developer: You seem to be really worried of supporting Keypass since you perceive it as a direct competitor, why not make this option as a premium option? I'm actually considering getting a premium account and this feature would definitely push me over the top.

Thanks
Benji99

Postby knightnet » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:18 am

Benji99 Wrote:Just wanted to also add that I also would really like sync capabilities with Keypass.
I've been a user of Keypass for many years and just switched to using Lastpass with Google Chrome.
Presently, I prefer to use Keypass to quickly lookup login info, or to keep non-web related information. Also I just like and very comfortable with it's interface.
What would be awesome would be the ability to sync a folder in Keypass with Lastpass. I also like the idea of having a constantly updated copy of my passwords locally on my system.

Note to developer: You seem to be really worried of supporting Keypass since you perceive it as a direct competitor, why not make this option as a premium option? I'm actually considering getting a premium account and this feature would definitely push me over the top.

Thanks

I would second this. As a premium option, I think it would be very likely that I would upgrade.
Just one point though. There are lots of things I keep in Keepass that I don't keep in Lastpass (banking logins for example and scripted entries that mount TrueCrypt volumes or run secure backup scripts) so I would want the ability to have more entries in Keepass that don't get sync'd.

Regards, Julian Knight
http://it.knightnet.org.uk, http://www.totallyinformation.com
knightnet

Postby bucket » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:45 am

Just adding to the chorus here. It would be great to have one of two things:

1 - built in export functionality for KeePass (and other non browser based password keepers). the current export as a text file (using Google Chrome) is worthless for anything other than looking at

2 - ability to sync a KeePass folder with lastpass to allow the ability to choose what to sync from KeePass to lastpass, but having the ability to sync everything down from lastpass to KeePass.
bucket

Postby markstahler » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:08 pm

I have been using LastPass for a month. I have been using KeePass for many years. Sadly I will be discontinuing my LastPass usage. KeePass is my master password database, I can store passwords offline, retrieve them offline and use passwords unrelated to the internet. After a month of usage I have had new accounts entered into KeePass that are not synced with Lastpass, I refuse to keep the two in sync manually.

Your software is good but KeePass is great. I dont mind paying for good software and have donated for KeePass but your offline capabilities fail in comparison. Without some kind of KeePass 2.x sync you have lost a potential premium customer. Thanks
markstahler

Postby Alan St » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:02 pm

sameer wrote:
Past that - truth be told - since we'd like you to be using LastPass instead of KeePass, I doubt we'll be developing this.

Using LastPass requires me to trust LastPass. Why should I trust a company that holds my data hostage? Making it harder to take my data to a competitor makes it harder for me to trust you because if you violate my trust I won't have as much recourse. In my opinion, LastPass should expect people to use it because it is the best, not because it is difficult to leave.

If you don't want to work on building an exporter for every competitor, maybe you should invest in fostering a standardized password interchange format so that you only have to build one exporter.
Alan St

Postby JoeSiegrist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 am

Alan Strohm Wrote:Using LastPass requires me to trust LastPass. Why should I trust a company that holds my data hostage? Making it harder to take my data to a competitor makes it harder for me to trust you because if you violate my trust I won't have as much recourse. In my opinion, LastPass should expect people to use it because it is the best, not because it is difficult to leave.

This is entirely untrue and you either haven't found it yet or you are simply being provocative.

We don't want to build exporters for every password manager under the sun, but doesn't mean we're holding your data hostage -- you can export it as an unencrypted CSV file, AND you can export back into to Firefox, AND back to IE's password manager. Keepass imports from Firefox via plugin -- so there you go, you have your export to Keepass path in 2 steps you can do in 30 seconds. By the way it works without a network connection to LastPass, in the offline mode if needed.

To give us no credit for things we spent weeks on perfecting is disappointing. Our intention is certainly NOT to lock people in, which is a huge difference from our competitors.
JoeSiegrist

Postby knightnet » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:02 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:
Alan Strohm Wrote:Using LastPass requires me to trust LastPass. Why should I trust a company that holds my data hostage? Making it harder to take my data to a competitor makes it harder for me to trust you because if you violate my trust I won't have as much recourse. In my opinion, LastPass should expect people to use it because it is the best, not because it is difficult to leave.

This is entirely untrue and you either haven't found it yet or you are simply being provocative.

We don't want to build exporters for every password manager under the sun, but doesn't mean we're holding your data hostage -- you can export it as an unencrypted CSV file, AND you can export back into to Firefox, AND back to IE's password manager. Keepass imports from Firefox via plugin -- so there you go, you have your export to Keepass path in 2 steps you can do in 30 seconds. By the way it works without a network connection to LastPass, in the offline mode if needed.

To give us no credit for things we spent weeks on perfecting is disappointing. Our intention is certainly NOT to lock people in, which is a huge difference from our competitors.

Hi Joe,
I agree with you that Alan's comment was uncalled for. Lastpass is a great tool and I will continue to use it as it fits many use cases for me.

Thanks for highlighting the 2-step export to KeePass, it's useful to know. & I've added it as a secure note in my Lastpass profile so that I remember should I need it!

However, although I certainly understand and sympathise with you for not wanting to work with a competitors product, I would have to say that KeePass and Lastpass are COMPLEMENTARY not directly competitive. KeePass, being a desktop tool, has differing use cases to Lastpass at least until such point as you provide a similarly featured, cross-platform, desktop tool.

I would still love to see the ability to sync one or more KeePass folders with Lastpass but I would love to see a full-featured, cross-platform, rich client even more. With local storage for when no network is available, automatically sync'd with the central servers (over a proxyable HTTP[S] connection so that it works through corporate firewalls) & a KeePass macro type capability to drive other software securely (I use KeePass to mount and unmount TrueCrypt volumes and other keystores for example).

It seems to have gone quiet at Lastpass recently so maybe that's what you are going to spring on us next!!!!!

;)

By the way, I've now persuaded my wife to start using Lastpass and so I've discovered the joys of sharing entries so that she can order stuff from Amazon and eBay (yes, this could be a mistake!). I like the ability to save notes as well and I think I'll be using that a lot more now that I have LP installed on 5 machines. I love the ability to be able to switch logins on my Wifes PC and the shared old laptop that my son uses but is in the kitchen so we all borrow it sometimes.

All the best, Julian Knight
http://it.knightnet.org.uk, http://www.totallyinformation.com
knightnet

Postby doffie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi,

I use personal vault.. I tried Keepass with firefox plug-in (seems to work sort of.. ) .. and now I hope Laspass can make me really happy. But I do not understand fully what is stored offline and send online?

I just want a single PC solution so the need for the online/offline transfer thing makes me doubt. Why is that needed? I do however want a good browser integration and thats lacking in keepass for as far I am now?. So why can there not be a "local Lastpass" without transfer things, but with the good browser integration ???

About that online trust thing I started reading about this topic and noticed :
In feb 2009 there was stated in a forum topic here: "3rd party verification is in our plans. Doing it while we're still in beta, with frequent releases, doesn't make sense." Now its june 2010 and the site FAQ still mentions : "3rd party verification is on our road-map."
https://lastpass.com/support_faqs.php#verified3rdparty

Security is all about trust but this timeline promise does not makes me feel better although I am not an expert and base my feeling on what others say !??

Thanks for any info that can help me feel more secure !..
doffie

Postby jaakkoh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:13 am

bucket Wrote:Just adding to the chorus here. It would be great to have one of two things:
1 - built in export functionality (...)
2 - ability to sync a KeePass folder with lastpass (...)

+1 more for these. Especially #2. I'm an old Roboform-> KeePass -> LP user and have been a "supporting" LP pro user for some time (maybe a year or so) now. I still use KeePass for some things and would _love_ to see a partial sync as practically all of the others who've wished for sync.

I'd also like to second the opinions that should these be implemented as Pro-features it would, I dare say, significantly broaden the pool of people who could pay for LP (with these new features, that is).
jaakkoh

Postby JoeSiegrist » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:36 pm

doffie Wrote:In feb 2009 there was stated in a forum topic here: "3rd party verification is in our plans. Doing it while we're still in beta, with frequent releases, doesn't make sense." Now its june 2010 and the site FAQ still mentions : "3rd party verification is on our road-map."
https://lastpass.com/support_faqs.php#verified3rdparty

Security is all about trust but this timeline promise does not makes me feel better although I am not an expert and base my feeling on what others say !??

http://twit.tv/sn256
JoeSiegrist

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests