Quick enter buttons

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Quick enter buttons

Postby dpic » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:06 pm

I would like a couple or so quick enter buttons on the toolbar. I would have one for a default fill forms, and one for my most used credit card. This would be nice because now to fill a form with default info, I must click on the LastPass button, then mouse over to fill forms, then mouse over to default, then mouse over to fill form. This is a lot of "mousing" around. It would be nice to have a LastPass toolbar with a couple of buttons.
dpic

Re: Quick enter buttons

Postby JoeSiegrist » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:34 am

This is reasonable -- we'll do it when we make the toolbar fully customizable...
JoeSiegrist

Postby Julian » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:25 am

JoeSiegrist Wrote:This is reasonable -- we'll do it when we make the toolbar fully customizable...

That was exactly the suggestion I was going to post, i.e. address this requirement at the same time as a totally customizable toolbar. It's great to hear this is what you plan to do. I'm assuming that the fully customizable toolbar will allow the user to select exactly which buttons are displayed on their customised LastPass toolbar and that it will also allow them to select whether they want an icon-only view of the toolbar. Any very rough idea of timescales?

Do you plan to address dpic's requirement by adding the ability for the user to add custom buttons with a user-defined action? If yes then could I suggest the following semantics for a user defined button action: "<Action> <Argument>" where <Action> is either "Login", "Fill" or "Fill Forms" (to steal the bookmarklet nomenclature and associated meanings) and <Argument> could either be blank ("Null"), a specific profile (for <Action> = "Fill Forms") or a specific site (for <Action> = "Login" or "Fill").

With the above semantics then dpic would just define a custom button set to ' "Fill Forms" <Favorite Credit Card> ' to get the button requested.

For me I've been asking for a while for Opera-Wand/RoboForm type buttons on the toolbar to invoke the general Login and Formfill capabilities rather than using the notification-bar mechanism (thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=417&p=1493). The above semantics could also give me the buttons I'm looking for if buttons programmed to "Login Null", "Fill Null" or "Form Fill Null" would execute the actions that are currently invoked via the appropriate buttons in a notification bar (complete with dropping down a selection menu if there are multiple accounts available for a login or multiple profiles available for a form fill).

Is this anywhere close to the direction you're thinking in? Have I any reason for being cautiously optimistic that this toolbar re-vamp might get me a native and supported implementation of the buttons that I'm hoping for (and that I have currently implemented myself via hacking your bookmarklet code into my own custom-written extension)?

- Julian
Julian

Postby JoeSiegrist » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:53 pm

Julian Wrote:That was exactly the suggestion I was going to post, i.e. address this requirement at the same time as a totally customizable toolbar. It's great to hear this is what you plan to do. I'm assuming that the fully customizable toolbar will allow the user to select exactly which buttons are displayed on their customised LastPass toolbar and that it will also allow them to select whether they want an icon-only view of the toolbar. Any very rough idea of timescales?

We're going to attempt to use the button list for Firefox and Safari -- not sure about IE yet. Will likely be a few months.

Julian Wrote:Do you plan to address dpic's requirement by adding the ability for the user to add custom buttons with a user-defined action? If yes then could I suggest the following semantics for a user defined button action: "<Action> <Argument>" where <Action> is either "Login", "Fill" or "Fill Forms" (to steal the bookmarklet nomenclature and associated meanings) and <Argument> could either be blank ("Null"), a specific profile (for <Action> = "Fill Forms") or a specific site (for <Action> = "Login" or "Fill").

With the above semantics then dpic would just define a custom button set to ' "Fill Forms" <Favorite Credit Card> ' to get the button requested.

This is highly functional but only a programmer would understand it -- we need to make something far more intuitive and simple, like 'form fill button' that will then allow you to select which form fill it'll use the first time you click on it.
JoeSiegrist

Postby Julian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:23 am

JoeSiegrist Wrote:... This is highly functional but only a programmer would understand it -- we need to make something far more intuitive and simple, like 'form fill button' that will then allow you to select which form fill it'll use the first time you click on it.

Oh definitely! I was only trying to express the semantics, I wasn't proposing that as the user interface! I was thinking more of maybe having 4 custom buttons and each custom button might have a radio selection box against it for the user to specify the basic action they want the button to perform? Options might be "Do Nothing", "Fill a Form" or "Perform a Login". Next to (to the right of) the "Fill a Form" selection there could then be a dropdown to select what profile you want to use which would list all the defined profiles & credit cards and (crucially for the thing I keep bleating on about) an "Ask me each time" option. Similarly for the "Perform a Login" operation you could offer a dropdown with a site list (although maybe there are screen-space issues because that could be a big list) and for me the crucial thing for me is to have an "Ask me each time" option, or as the only action, so that we get the ability to initiate a logon via a toolbar button rather than the notification bar (i.e. a bookmarklet-like UI).

You'll probably come up with a better UI idea, the above was just my first thought, and in my defense I was never suggesting some sort of crude BNF as the UI!

- Julian
Julian

Return to Feature Requests