Google Chrome support?

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Google Chrome support?

Postby ToxMox » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:10 am

I know it isn't even out yet but I hope you guys have planned to support Google Chrome as soon as possible.
I would imagine it would also give a good boost to expand your user base if you are the first password manager to work with Google Chrome.
ToxMox

Re: Google Chrome support?

Postby JoeSiegrist » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:59 am

It's based on webkit, (think Safari), so we're hoping some of our work there will translate. We're extremely curious if Chrome has a built-in password manager, or is going to be like Safari (missing any password manager).

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby ToxMox » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:21 am

Cool...That sounds promising.
Since it will be completely open source I would imagine that would help the development along as well.
I keep checking google.com/chrome ...stupid 404 message ;)
I don't know why but I am very excited about Chrome. Should at the very least be interesting to try.
ToxMox

Postby Gerry » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:25 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:We're extremely curious if Chrome has a built-in password manager, or is going to be like Safari (missing any password manager).
Yup it has a password manager (posting this via Chrome) but it doesn't have a master password or anything from what I can see.

Tools *spanner icon*/ options / Minor Tweaks / Show saved passwords

Then you just click on the site you want to see the password for and hit the "show password" button.
LOL, wtf Google!!!
Gerry

Postby baglunch » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Heya, just another request for Google Chrome support. Looks like a really fast little browser, wouldn't mind checking it out more, but since using lastpass, I've started using 15 character strings of generated gibberish for passwords and I'd never be able to log in to anything. So yeah.... please.
baglunch

Postby ToxMox » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Now that I've played with Chrome I think I'll use it for a while. I like it! a lot!
As for lastpass what I am doing for now is logging into the web version of lastpass and using the one-click logins from the website to get into my sites. Then I just drag my tabs out to separate windows for stuff I like to have in its own window. I am really looking forward to a native plugin for Chrome though.
ToxMox

Postby Gerry » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Gotta say, I've been using the browser for about an hour now and I'm pretty ehh about it. Sure it's stable and quick but it's also empty. It's core is fantastic, but that's pretty much all they have.... they're missing the browser part. As somebody else pointed out... it makes IE seem like a browser with a lot of functionality.

I would love to see Firefox figure out how to impliment it's core, but other than that, I've shut it down now and probably won't be opening it up for a while. .... actually yes I probably will. Occasionally I open up Opera when I just need check something quickly before rushing out the door... in future I'll probably use chrome for that... but only when I'm really in a rush.
Gerry

Postby JoeSiegrist » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:56 pm

Chrome is insanely fast with the LastPass.com web interface -- and using the web interface you can get to many of your sites from Chrome (basically any site using a standard login page).

That said we're actively looking at supporting from an addon perspective; it might have to push Safari down unfortunately.

If everyone just adopts their v8 javascript engine and chrome withers away I'd be really happy :)

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby ToxMox » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:02 pm

Everything is insanely fast. My gmail accounts are like using a desktop app in responsiveness now. The create application shortcuts feature works really well too. Like having Mozilla Prism built into Firefox.
The v8 engine is awesome but IMO so is the concept of every tab being its own process/sandbox. One tab can't crash the rest which annoys me to no end in Firefox.

Glad you are actively looking to support it. For a beta I find Chrome very impressive. All I need for chrome to be completely useful to me are the following features:
Need a sidebar
Need an adblockplus plugin
Need lastpass plugin ;)
Need browser sync like Mozilla Weave

PS is it just me or are forum notification emails not getting sent out?
ToxMox

Postby Gerry » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:12 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:If everyone just adopts their v8 javascript engine and chrome withers away I'd be really happy :)

LOL Joe! Come on, if their process system matches up to the claims, then it's gonna be pretty good too. Firefox does pack it in whenever a site gets out of hand and we have to wait for that site to do it's thing before FF starts responding again. Although I won't be using their browser long enough to find out if it's true or not. I do have my doubts as Windows uses a process system but when an app crashes it often locks up the whole OS, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are exaggerating their claims on this.
Gerry

Next

Return to Feature Requests