Allow multiple master password access to LastPass account

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Allow multiple master password access to LastPass account

Postby Awe So Me » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:06 am

I would be useful to be able to create multiple master passwords for LastPass.
That way I could create a new master password and then give it to another family member to have access to my account.
I could then separately maintain this access to my account and revoke it or recreate it (family members always seem to lose their passwords) without affecting my existing master password.

Increased functionality could allow me to specify the scope and level of access for the additional master passwords.
Scope could be implemented by tying the password to one or more lastpass identities. That way I could control which sites that each password accessed.
Access would be specifying what functions are allowed for each password (change settings, manage identities, create/modify passwords, two-factor authentication required etc.)

I could also see expanding the "Friends" functionality to encompass these features.
Awe So Me

Re: Allow multiple master password access to LastPass account

Postby JoeSiegrist » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:16 am

This seems overly complex -- why not encourage them to create their own LastPass account, then share the accounts you want to share with them that way?
JoeSiegrist

Re: Allow multiple master password access to LastPass account

Postby Awe So Me » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:41 am

It was my understanding that the "Friends" sharing of sites did not allow the person to see or change the shared password.
In this instance I would want the person to be able to both see an change the passwords and other fields.

In addition, Sharing is on a per site basis. I was looking for a more global (multiple site sets) approach similar to the functionality already supported in Identities.
I envision each person being able to add a site to one or more identities and have them automatically shared with the other person.

As I said, I see no reason the site sharing could not be expanded to encompass these features, I was just supposing at the time an additional master password might be easier than revamping sharing capability. I was also thinking that the increased scope and access function would be more of a roadmap item than something that was provided initially.

Keep up the good work.
Awe So Me

Return to Feature Requests