Windows 8 feedback

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Windows 8 feedback

Postby gtirloni » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:36 am

So I installed Win8 yesterday and here is my feedback trying to get LastPass to an usable state on it (This is a regular Dell L502x laptop with no touchscreen, only mouse and keyboard).

I installed LastPass both through the Windows Store (which added a tile to my start screen for a Metro app) and through the LastPass website (which enabled it further for IE10 in desktop mode). Why did I have to install both? I expect the Windows Store download to fix everything... cumbersome.

- Support for IE10 tablet mode is really lacking. IE10 asks me to store my passwords on it instead of on Lastpass. No support at all (that I could detect).

- LastPass Win8 Metro app is really rough.

I could just once see that bottom bar that shows options like "Copy Username", "Copy Password" but I don't know what I did to see it. I tried to find it again for 5 minutes and gave up. I really wanted to copy a password so I could go back to IE10 (tablet mode) and paste it there.

Once I selected one account in the password vault, I could never go back to the full listing. There was a minus icon on the bottom right corner but that just showed another title called "General (1)" and nothing else. I had to close Lastpass app and open again. Still can't find a way to copy the password from an entry.

Typing the password to login... the keyboard input is grabbed by Win8 search feature and my password starts showing in the search box. I type it there, copy/paste onto Lastpass. It works but why this?
gtirloni

Re: Windows 8 feedback

Postby metricrider » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Agreed with many of your comments, I was struggling with the "Copy Password" feature as well. Try this, in the Metro App, right click the item you want to copy (to get the check mark), then right click on an open space on the screen. This should bring up the submenu to get the actions list.

Hopefully, they can update the code to make the action menu popup on the first right click.

Goodluck.
metricrider

Postby metricrider » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Also, I really get the impression that items from the "Windows Store" are not typically related to the "Windows Desktop", this is a limitation from MS. Even, SkyDrive had to be installed on the Desktop even though it was already on the Windows "Metro" interface.

I think Windows 8 is going to be confusing for a while.
metricrider

Postby anatoly_LP » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks for your comments.

- metricrider is correct, the Windows Store apps do not have anything to do with the desktop. I know Windows 8 is going to be confusing until everyone gets used to this, but you can think of it as a (mostly) completely separate computer inside your PC, with its own set of apps, etc. So in most cases where an app is available in both desktop and Windows Store versions, you will have to install it twice.

- Modern-style/"Windows Store" apps are strictly sandboxed for security and stability reasons, and modern-style IE10 doesn't support plug-ins, so there is simply no way for us to link into it like we do on the desktop side. Yes, the desktop apps do show up as tiles on the Start screen,but that's pretty much the extent to which the modern and desktop environments are merged. (Also, as I found out a few days ago, even the Surface RT tablet has an almost identical desktop mode, except that you can't actually install your own desktop apps on it. Confusing!)

- This was our first try at a Windows Store app, and then again Windows 8 was still in testing as well at the time, so yeah, it may have been a bit rough. Our goal was to get into the store ahead of the Windows 8 release and start getting some customer feedback. Unfortunately there isn't a very easy way for customers to "beta-test" the apps before we release them to the store. (There definitely is a way, it's called side-loading, but it's not as simple as just downloading the app from our web site and running it.)

- Based on the initial feedback, we quickly made a lot of fixes and improvements to the app, and have been trying to get an updated version into the store for a few weeks, since well before the Windows 8 release. We were hoping it would be available by now, but unfortunately we had to resubmit a couple of times, so the new release is still pending approval. I would be happy to make the current build available if you know how to side-load Windows Store apps. Contact me at anatolyatlastpassdotcom.

- There is a bit of a learning curve to modern Windows 8 apps, and it's definitely easier to use with a touch screen. For example, swipe-up from the bottom on a touch screen shows the app bar (with the copy commands, etc.). With a mouse, you have to right-click in the empty space on the bottom. (We fixed this in the pending release, so that it automatically shows the app bar when you select an item in the list.) Some things just aren't as intuitive with a mouse, and there is very little we can do about that since much of it is standard behavior of those controls. (BTW, the "-" button activates the "semantic zoom", which shows the category view, so if you only have one category, that's what it will show.)

- We welcome constructive feedback. Saying that it is rough is fine, but if you include specific details on what you thought was rough about it, then we can focus on those areas instead of guessing what you mean. Just keep in mind that due to the restrictions I mentioned above, it's just not possible to do some of the things that we do on the desktop.

Thanks!
Anatoly
anatoly_LP
Site Admin

Postby gtirloni » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I'll wait for the update to become available.
gtirloni

Postby jhoff80 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 am

Is there any particular reason the "Remember password" option was removed from today's update to this? I already have a complex computer password, AND a Google Authenticator code to enter each time I want to use the app, so I just don't want to have to also re-enter my LastPass password every time. I'm fully aware that it's not as safe, but I should have the option to save it regardless, as long as I'm okay with that, just like every other version of LastPass for every other platform lets me.
jhoff80

Postby anatoly_LP » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:41 am

jhoff80 wrote:Is there any particular reason the "Remember password" option was removed from today's update to this? I already have a complex computer password, AND a Google Authenticator code to enter each time I want to use the app, so I just don't want to have to also re-enter my LastPass password every time. I'm fully aware that it's not as safe, but I should have the option to save it regardless, as long as I'm okay with that, just like every other version of LastPass for every other platform lets me.

So first, to let everyone else know that yes, the update was finally approved and is available in the Microsoft Store.

If you want to know the gory details about why this was removed, here they are:

To store a password on your machine, you really want it to be encrypted. The built-in Windows 8 data encryption API allows you to create blobs of any data that are encrypted with Windows secret key (which we don't have access to), but using that API requires the app to declare that it requires the "enterpriseAuthentication" permission. Unfortunately, the guidelines for using this permission setting indicate that an app should only declare it if it needs to log into a Windows domain or enterprise resources, which we don't. Somehow we got away with it in the first release of LastPass, but a Microsoft reviewer rejected the second release for this reason, even with a detailed explanation of why we require this permission. I have sent an email to their developer contact to see if he can correct this. In the meanwhile, the only way to get the update into the store was to remove the enterpriseAuthentication declaration, which meant removing everything that depends on it, which is the "save password" option. If this gets fixed in a later release of the Windows 8 SDK, we will add it back.
anatoly_LP
Site Admin

Postby drohm » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Well, you really need to figure something out because having to type in the password every time you alt-tab back into the app is plain rediculous. I hope this gets fixed because it's flat out unusable in this state.
drohm

Return to Feedback