Memory leak

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Memory leak

Postby rozziecole » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 pm

After working for a while in the Vault, updating passwords and the like, Chrome's memory in the LastPass Extension grows and grows. And this memory is not released even after the tab is closed. It is in the extension.
rozziecole

Re: Memory leak

Postby thedoors » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:56 pm

I am experiencing the same symptoms, however it appears to happen as soon as the browser (and thus lastpass extension) is loaded.
The extension's memory usage continues to climb to well over 250MB and CPU usage (as seen in the Chrome task manager) sits around 12%

The extension browser button becomes non-functional, and the only way to fix it is to disable/enable the extension and log in again.

This is on my work PC - Vista 32 bit; Chrome: 18.0.1025.45 beta-m.
At home, with Win7 x64, I am using the same versions of Chrome and LP with no issues.
thedoors

Postby JeffBaumgardt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:49 pm

I can confirm this behavior. I edited a handful of accounts in my vault and my extension is running at 185mb and holding.

Windows 7 x64
Chrome 20.0.1132.27 beta-m
JeffBaumgardt

Postby mwewe » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:27 pm

I also see this, it's a steady but slow increase in the LastPass:Extension entry in the Chrome task list. If I close and restart Chrome, the memory has returned to a normal low value. Now I'll have to restart Chrome periodically, which, because I'm using two-factor authentication, means I'll have to log in again. LastPass has just become a little less friendly to use.
mwewe

Postby docmarionum1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:04 am

This is still a problem. I encountered it after doing a bunch of edits in succession (my vault was severely neglected). Any edit/delete seemed to increase the memory usage by about 30MB. It would then sometimes go back down by a few MB but only so far. I maxed at around 900MB before the plugin froze.
docmarionum1

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:06 am

It might be best to file a support ticket so they can properly troubleshoot.

https://lastpass.com/support.php?lpnorefresh=1
jpenny84

Postby PaulMEdwards » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 pm

I've also been experiencing this using various versions of the extension in the Google Chrome & Chromium browsers on Linux.

I'm a paying subscriber and I'll file a support ticket as advised.
PaulMEdwards

Postby awcooper942 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:33 am

I'm guessing my issue is related. After using Chrome for a while there is a delay in typing into gmail's text fields. It's very annoying as I use gmail all day. As soon as I disable the extension (even without closing chrome) the speed returns to normal.
awcooper942

Postby PaulMEdwards » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:51 pm

I made a screencast of the issue and submitted it to the support team... Here it is if you'd like to compare your experience to mine: http://youtu.be/rJlDG7ZmolI?hd=1
I've been advised that the developers are "investigating to try and create a fix." I was encouraged to use the Prebuild version of the extension that reduces CPU usage.
PaulMEdwards

Return to Feedback