Using the Generate Secure Password tool

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Using the Generate Secure Password tool

Postby RobShaver » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:59 pm

LastPass is an incredible tool that is letting me use really secure and unique passwords on the many sites I have accounts set up.

Many times when I use the Generate Secure Password tool LastPass fails to record the password anywhere I can find. Later when I return to the site and try to log LastPass doesn't recognize it at all. Sometimes I can find an entry that says "Generated Password for xyz.com" for example. Then I can use it to manually log in by copying the password from the LastPass vault and pasting it into the site login form ... as long as I remember what user ID I used.

(I can understand that it may not always be possible to extrapolate the web site where the account is first created with the place where you normally sign in once the account is established. In fact I operate such a system where the accounts are established using one domain but the login security is provided to many other domains from the one central database.)

But sometimes I find no evidence that a password was ever generated. An example is what happened today. I created a new account at http://fora.tv/ and used the Generate Secure Password tool to create a nice random password. That done, I logged out of LastPass and went home for the day.

At home, I found that their system sends an email to my in-box with a link to prove that the email address I used is real. When I clicked on that I was returned to the Fora web site page that says I'm now a member and to please log in.

LastPass did not auto fill the login and I could not locate the Fora domain or any record of the generated password. (I was able to recover the password by following Fora's "forgot my password" procedure and LastPass dutifully recorded the new password when I entered it.)

QUESTIONS
1. So can you tell me, or point me to a place, exactly what I should expect of LastPass when using the Generate Secure Password tool?

2. Since I did the first part at work, how do I make sure my home browser had the latest LastPass vault data?

3. Will a new generated password show up in the "recently used" list at the top of the vault? (If not, that would be useful for a case like this.)

CONCLUSION
Thanks for a great product at the perfect price.

Peace,

Rob:-]
RobShaver

Re: Using the Generate Secure Password tool

Postby postman99 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am

Yes, I find this too.

I have taken to copying the generated pass to a notepad until I have "proven" that LP has saved the site and password.

I thought that was just me and my machine.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one.
postman99

Postby kilgry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:55 pm

LP removes the generated password when it thinks it has saved it to a site record (either new or modified).
kilgry

Postby jonat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:56 pm

But you can still find it if you look at the list of deleted entries in the online vault.
jonat

Postby RobShaver » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Where do I access deleted entries? I looked at all the menus but didn't find anything about deleted entries.

EDIT: I found it and, sure enough, the missing password was there.

Open your LastPass Vault, then click on More at the top right of the screen and you'll see this menu: http://screencast.com/t/M8dpRDmYBzb
RobShaver

Postby goddard777 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:34 pm

In the past it always record the generated password and displayed it on the site for me. Now it never records the generated passwords and they are just lost. This needs to be fixed.
goddard777

Postby jonat » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:59 pm

goddard777, this issue has been reported before. It is unknown when the bug will be fixed, but as bugs from a year ago are still unfixed, I would not hold my breath. You can, however, click on the down-triangle next to the password in the Generate Secure Password dialog and see passwords previously generated in the current session. It's not an ideal solution, but it's better than nothing.
jonat

Postby swnm » Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm

The forced upgrade to 4.1.49 broke this badly here. It vaporized a site which I had just added last week. I did a password recovery using an emailed link from the site. Used the "generate secure password" link in the context menu which popped up when I clicked in the form field, which does not have a "copy password" button (and the field with the password is not copyable either). There is no "generated password" entry in my vault. I know those had a tendency to clutter up the old vault, but why not just a timed cleanup process instead of vaporizing them completely? The "generate password" dialogs I can bring up now (either off the main LP menu or from the context menu in the login form fill, as opposed to the "new password" labeled field above) do have a "copy password" field, but they do not have any history.

Where did my password go?
swnm

Postby allanonmage372 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Flash forward to the future, and this is still a common problem.
allanonmage372

Return to Feedback