URL privacy fail. I am finally dumping this extension?

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

URL privacy fail. I am finally dumping this extension?

Postby 3609845 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Getting the new privacy warning popup in firefox, I did some digging and saw lastpass is using urls for marketing purposes. https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/commen ... y_without/

URLs and all metadata should absolutely be encrypted and private. Full stop.

It's bad enough HTTP auth hasn't worked in years in firefox, plus how I have to login several times to copy/paste a password manually in when the extension doesn't work. You guys really ruined what used to be a good extension over the past few years.

Re: URL privacy fail. I am finally dumping this extension?

Postby FlyingHawk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:53 pm

FYI, LastPass never encrypted URLs or other metadata in the first place. There's no change "over the past few years".
FYI, LastPass isn't desgined to be nor claim to be a privacy tool. It's meant to be a security tool only.
FlyingHawk

Re: URL privacy fail. I am finally dumping this extension?

Postby jpenny84 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:23 pm

There are practical purposes for knowing URL information like serving favicons. They also needed URL data for bookmarklets back when that was a more prominent feature. Transmission is over TLS/HTTPS, and any local data saved for offline use is fully encrypted.

Also, that privacy policy snippet you linked is about four years old, predates LogMeIn, and thus is severely outdated. The current one is here, and they list an email you can contact if you require clarification: https://www.logmeininc.com/legal/privacy
jpenny84

Return to Feedback