What I hate about LastPass

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

What I hate about LastPass

Postby David206 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 pm

What I hate:

1. The LastPass support system is hidden and not obvious from the home page lastpass.com .

2. On Firefox, sometimes I cannot login to my domain registry. If I then go to Chrome, I can't login from Chrome either. In Chrome, I also cannot login using the dropdown list in the website login page. It looks like if I choose the second item in the list of accounts, LastPass fills the site with the password from the first account! This should be easy to test. I can't do further experimentation on Firefox due to being locked out of the account, but I suspect that deleting the LastPass cookies might clear up the problem. If this is true, the use of cookies should be debugged.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

David Spector
Springtime Software
David206

Re: What I hate about LastPass

Postby marshak574 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:59 pm

The accessibility or lack of it from the technical support. (Safari on Mojave, iMac) I have been unable to use my lastpass safari extension for almost a month, every since the attempted upgrade to 4.31. I have an email exchange (1 a day) to attempt trouble shoot. They ask for recordings but they cannot receive them because they are too big. I am so frustrated. I have uninstalled and reinstalled according to tech directions multiple times now. It was working before this upgrade. I am to a hugely technical person, but I am not an idiot either. At the rate of progress this could take years to trouble shoot. Before Logmein purchased last pass, I had one occasion to contact them. Was phone supported, and the resolution occurred within a day. Not this time. The style of tech support, .e.g. one email a day is so inept and inefficient. AND I pay for my premium subscription, but I am wondering why.
marshak574

Re: What I hate about LastPass

Postby David206 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:50 pm

I don't know why, but all software companies get more arrogant the bigger they get. Roku has gotten so large that it doesn't care to fix its main bug: that remote controls on certain Roku devices stop working and have to be paired with the Roku again and again. LastPass has always refused to fix certain bugs, year after year, even before they were bought by LogMeIn. Microsoft refuses to fix certain bugs. Instead, the user is told, in effect, "try turning your computer off and on again."

Web searching reveals common bugs that have hundreds of posts each in "expert" support forums. The same answers are given again and again, rehashing known easy fixes. Yet the responses from people indicate that these easy fixes do not work. The recommendations sometimes get extreme: reinstalling the operating system is a favorite. Yet the responses say that reinstalling loses valuable data, or even makes the computer unresponsive and useless. Such arrogance.

The truth is that computer systems have become so needlessly complex that problems can occur that are almost impossible to debug. When I see my computer doing something strange, I just have to shrug, knowing that there is no way to find out what the computer is actually doing. If the computer does many disk operations, and you run a special program to show the operations, typically nothing is found because Windows categorizes its operations under the term "system", where they are hidden. (I am a retired software engineer with 40 years of experience: I know that software can be produced reliably, by setting good design and good debugging as top priorities.)

And similar malignant complexity is found in LastPass, Roku, Google Search, Adobe, Facebook, and all the other major apps from big companies that only care about making ever more money, not in listening to and truly helping the customer.
David206

Return to Feedback