Lower Case "L"

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Lower Case "L"

Postby steve1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:51 am

cbrillow Wrote:Maybe it would be cool if LastPass automagically created the color scheme - that could be convenient!

That's exactly how 1Password handles it. You let it generate a password (or enter your own), and it automagically shows the characters in the appropriate color. (Sorry I didn't make that clear.)

(I wish this forum supported images; I'd upload a screenshot.)

There's no shame in copying a good feature from a competitor, so long as it's not protected intellectual property. If 1Password doesn't own that feature, LastPass should copy it! And if 1Password does own it, LastPass should figure out a non-infringing way of adding similar functionality.
steve1

Postby randyrock » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:19 pm

How about using a font that is easily read. I believe that this approach has been used by a few (billion) software creators on the net.
randyrock

Postby steve1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:52 am

randyrock Wrote:How about using a font that is easily read. I believe that this approach has been used by a few (billion) software creators on the net.

Or having an option to display passwords in any font of your choosing, and even to display it extra large?

Take a look: Accessibility Features in (a competing product)
steve1

Postby benbland » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:57 am

Got to agree with this thread. I had to walk around the office yesterday and supervise everyone entering our new WiFi password because of ambiguous characters (such as 'O' and 'l'). This is a long-solved problem in other places, simply by using an unambiguous font. I don't know any of these fonts' names but they include a zero with a diagonal line through it, a lower-case L with a little 'foot', etc. You don't need colours for this.

Right, I'm off to spend the rest of the day trying to get Jamiroquai's 'With a Little L' song out of my head...
benbland

Postby JONS » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:22 pm

wlc568 Wrote:How would one conclude that "easy to read" eliminates ambiguous characters?

I agree with this point. In earlier versions of LP, this option used to be 'Avoid ambiguous characters', but then it was changed to make 'easy to read'. The only way I knew 'easy to read' meant 'avoid ambiguous' was because I was using LP before they made the change. For a new user, 'easy to read' is not at all indicative that it's to avoid ambiguous characters. I just installed the 4.31.0 update and I'm pleased to see that 'easy to read' has reverted to 'avoid ambiguous characters'.

When I first started using LP I wasn't yet aware of the 'avoid ambiguous characters' option, and a number of the early auto-generated passwords that I used for my accounts incorporated capital 'i', lowercase 'L', zero (0) and capital letter 'O', so it turned into a nightmare for me when I eventually needed to read out my passwords to family members to enable them to login to my accounts. One non-tech savvy sister in particular became very enraged by the trial-and-error approach with what were very long passwords of garbled code. When generating passwords, 'Avoid ambiguous characters' should be enabled for new users by default (maybe it is now, I don't now).
JONS

Previous

Return to Feedback