LP with Safari on Mac still very erratic

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

LP with Safari on Mac still very erratic

Postby SafariUser » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:13 pm

I've done everything normally recommended, disabling/uninstalling/reinstalling/re-enabling the LP Safari extension etc but autosave and autofill are still not working on lots of sites.

Is anyone working on a fix for this?

Thanks.
SafariUser

Re: LP with Safari on Mac still very erratic

Postby nick434 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:34 am

I think this is the same issu as reported here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=329915
nick434

Postby rasierbacke177 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:27 am

Hello, I am experiencing the same erratic behavior with LastPass and Safari: Autofill does not work. And worse: Passwords are often entered incorrectly. The same PW works when copied from the entry in the Vault manually.

And @nick434: It's not an installation problem, but one of incorrect functioning.

Please work on that, in other browsers LP works like a beaut!

Thanks.
rasierbacke177

Postby gordonf46 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:28 pm

rasierbacke177 Wrote:Hello, I am experiencing the same erratic behavior with LastPass and Safari: Autofill does not work. And worse: Passwords are often entered incorrectly.
Today's 4.30.0 LP update for Safari still does not solve these problems, which have been present over the last 4 releases. AutoFill hasn't worked at all. Regarding "passwords are often entered incorrectly," I suspect you're seeing what I am seeing, which is that when you navigate to a web site and click on the LP field icons to enter credentials, LP offers up the PREVIOUS web site's credentials. This is also reflected in the "Show matching sites" selection from the LP menu, which shows the PREVIOUS SITE. To work around this, you have to refresh the web page in Safari, and then LP will offer up the correct credentials. I am getting VERY TIRED of having to refresh every site that I need to use LP to log on to. :?
gordonf46

Postby JONS » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Here's a list of issues I'm frustrated by on a daily basis when using LP 4.30.0 with Safari on Mac:

1) LP Mac App prevents shutdown of my Macs

2) username and passwords fields no longer auto fill in Safari. This is despite 'automatically fill login information' being enabled in LP preferences.

3) upon navigating to a website (using Safari), the username and password fields often do not detect that that login details exist for that site and the fields do not display the LP icons that can usually be clicked to fill the details.

4) following point 3 above, sometimes a website DOES detect that username/password info is available for a given site and the LP icon IS displayed at the end of the username and password fields, however, when the LP icon is clicked to attempt to fill the form, the dropdown box is actually empty, instead of displaying the appropriate entry for that website.

5) when I navigate to a website (using Safari), the LP extension icon (in the browser toolbar) displays a badge icon (i.e. number '1' or '2', depending on how many logins I have for that site) indicating that I have a username and password entry saved for that website. When I click the toolbar icon and then click 'show matching sites' (which is what I often have to do due to issues 2, 3 and 4 above), the LP entry that is displayed is for the PREVIOUS website that I just visited, not for the current website that I am trying to log into. At this point I have to refresh the webpage, then go back to the LP toolbar icon, then 'show matching sites' where the correct website entry will now be displayed. This is especially frustrating!

6) When performing step 5, sometimes after clicking 'auto fill' for the correct website entry, the username and password information is not actually entered into the fields. The LP toolbar menu just disappears. Then I have to refresh the page and go again.

7) I often have to log into LP twice, despite completing the 2-factor authentication process (via the LP authenticator iOS app) the first time.

These issues are Safari-specific, in that LP works fine for me on Chrome.
JONS

Postby rania0490 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:43 am

Same problems here. I will probably give up using LastPass. Ever since I updated the app I have to spend 10-20 minutes to log in somewhere and it is a nightmare to set up my login details in a new website. I don't want to give up Safari for this so I'd rather give up LP.
rania0490

Postby JONS » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:27 pm

rania0490 Wrote:Same problems here. I will probably give up using LastPass. Ever since I updated the app I have to spend 10-20 minutes to log in somewhere and it is a nightmare to set up my login details in a new website. I don't want to give up Safari for this so I'd rather give up LP.

I'm currently on a trial period with 1Password. It plays very nicely with Safari (I believe it might have actually originally been created as a password solution for Mac), so maybe give it a go if you do ditch LP. I was able to automatically import all my LP data into 1Password without any problems. My gripe with 1Password though is that it doesn't automatically fill web forms with your username and password. Rather, you have to click the browser icon then hit return, as 1Password deem it a security issue to have the fields automatically fill.
JONS

Postby kaelcan172 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:25 pm

I also have the issue with LastPass preventing the Mac from shutting down.
kaelcan172

Postby carrrl » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Most of the same issues here, for months, with no end in sight. LP refuses to reliably fill usernames/passwords in Safari. Core product functionality is broken and competitors work just fine. Really bums me out but at the going rate of $36/yr it's hard to justify supporting a broken product as long as I have.
carrrl

Postby MiloVandelay » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:17 pm

JONS Wrote:
rania0490 Wrote:Same problems here. I will probably give up using LastPass. Ever since I updated the app I have to spend 10-20 minutes to log in somewhere and it is a nightmare to set up my login details in a new website. I don't want to give up Safari for this so I'd rather give up LP.

I'm currently on a trial period with 1Password. It plays very nicely with Safari (I believe it might have actually originally been created as a password solution for Mac), so maybe give it a go if you do ditch LP. I was able to automatically import all my LP data into 1Password without any problems. My gripe with 1Password though is that it doesn't automatically fill web forms with your username and password. Rather, you have to click the browser icon then hit return, as 1Password deem it a security issue to have the fields automatically fill.

I have all the same issues and frustrations you do JONS - thank you for the excellent summary. With the change to identical pricing to 1Password and the expiration of my previous $12/year membership I am planning on doing the same switch to 1Password since for $36/year I might as well get a password manager that works with Safari.

From what I understand you're right about 1Password actually originating as a MacOS application. I believe it also supports TouchID for unlocking, so there's that bonus. And regarding autofill, yes I believe they view that as a serious security risk to have it enabled so it's not an option at all. I would be curious if you knew if there are any keyboard shortcuts that can be used to manually select/fill a matching site; this was my workflow with LastPass before I started using Safari; in Chrome I had autofill disabled but would just use shortcuts like Ctrl-N or Ctrl-P to cycle through the next or previous matching site. But apparently with autofill dead with LP on safari that means shortcuts are dead (I suspect because they're just triggering autofill of the next/previous site, and autofill doesn't work so nothing happens).
MiloVandelay

Return to Feedback