This March 2019 Update is Terrible

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Beyond a bug or a feature.

Postby mcglk » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 pm

I finally ran into the update today.

Here's the thing: I don't mind that LastPass rejiggered how they want to do form fills.

What makes me livid is that they JETTISONED THE DATA WITHOUT ASKING WITH NO NOTICE.

The intended loss of a customer's data isn't supposed to be some note-in-passing in some blog or whatever: it's a Grade-A get-in-the-user's-face-in-advance-notice-that-important-data-is-about-to-go-away-and-to-go-do-something-about-it-if-you-want-to event. Did I receive anything like that? No. Was it even mentioned back in April in Addressing User Concerns on March 2019 UI Update? No.

That's reprehensible. I don't even remember all the data I'd loaded into form fills. I have no way to refer to what fields were in there, I have no visibility into the data I had in there.

This was a decision that directly, immediately affects my faith in LastPass. At this point, I'm going to export all my passwords and rethink how I do this entire thing. I feel like I've invested quite a bit into putting my data into LastPass, and evangelizing other users to use it, and it turns out LastPass doesn't give even put the slightest passing thought into preserving my data (or at least telling me how to access it). WTAF.

I am so disappointed. I hope you spank whatever Einsteins made that stupid decision. "Dependable." Right.
mcglk

Re: This March 2019 Update is Terrible

Postby mcglk » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:50 pm

I mean, even if they hadn't considered it until the last minute (hey, I've been a developer, I've screwed up, too), they could have at least dumped the data in CSV format into a secure note, and I would have been fine with that. Nope. Never occurred to them.
mcglk

Postby ian179 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:49 am

I'm not alone then!

I curse every time I try to use Lastpass, since the update, to the extent that I'm going to review the alternatives.

In may ways the usability is now worse than the integral browser form fill capability. 4 months on and it hasnt improved.
ian179

Postby yuck » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:10 pm

Fortunately, I renew on August 22. I just disabled auto-renew. Appreciate the feedback on how alternatives are working out.
yuck

Postby ian179 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Unfortunately I'm paid up until April 2020, but out of principle the auto renew has been cancelled and I've switched. The good news for me and the bad news for Lastpass, there are two perfectly good alternatives that weren't around when I signed up 9 years ago.
ian179

Postby jb4479 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Care to shre the alternatives?
jb4479

Postby mcglk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:46 pm

I'm now using Buttercup (https://buttercup.pw/). It lacks the form-fill capabilities, but I can store the encrypted database on Dropbox and other cloud-based services, it's open-source (so there will be improvements over time), and so far, it's been relatively nice.
mcglk

Postby mcglk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:46 pm

And I'm deleting my LastPass account today.
mcglk

Postby B R Frost » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:21 pm

This latest update is [insert swear words here] just unuseable, I ended up manually copy and pasting to form fill. if this does not change soon I will be sticking txt files in a trucrypt container.
Back in the early days I used a Floppy with my Passwords on it.
What is going on at the Lastpass Shack.
B R Frost

Postby andyryansmith480 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 pm

IN agreement with this thread here. I may have to look for other alternatives.
andyryansmith480

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback