Lastpass needs an Emergency Shutoff button

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Lastpass needs an Emergency Shutoff button

Postby NachoMan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:35 pm

What seems like a huge oversight to me, Lastpass lacks some form of emergency shutoff. Today I lost a usb key containing my masterpassword. Naturally, Lastpass will NOT let me change the fucking passing, giving me a useless error message to Try Later. I would sleep better tonight if I could shut off Lastpass until this is sorted out. I don't wish to close my account, the only option now available. This is not good.
NachoMan

Re: Lastpass needs an Emergency Shutoff button

Postby jonat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm

So you can log in to LastPass but it won't let you change the master password? It's obviously now the next day since you posted this, so does it work now?

I might also suggest that a USB key that you carry around with the master password is not the best security. You can use a USB key for multifactor.
jonat

Postby NachoMan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:38 pm

You're quite right about putting the master password on a usb stick. Still, would multifactor logon enable me to use Lastpass from, say, a public computer? Not sure how that would work but I'll read up. Thanks!

I was just able to change the master password. There must have been an issue with the Lastpass server. I tried different browsers, firewall settings etc. Didn't work. Frustrating. From a functionality standpoint Lastpass would do well to have an emergency shutoff. Just like some firewalls have, when all else fails as it did last night push the button and everything stops.
NachoMan

Postby rjm » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:52 pm

NachoMan Wrote:...Lastpass will NOT let me change...

Interesting post. Just curious. Did you try multiple devices to change the master password. e.g. phone/tablet?
rjm

Postby jonat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Yes, multifactor would allow you to log in to LastPass on a public computer. But you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY should not do that if you can possibly avoid it. You have no way of knowing what sort of malware (keyboard/screen loggers, etc.) are on that computer and even though multifactor would pose a barrier if your password became exposed, anything you do on that computer (including account passwords you use, since you'd have to do copy/paste) is at risk. Consider it a last resort only, and then to do only something absolutely critical. (Then change any password you used as soon as you can.)

A USB key for multifactor is also not the best idea, as you can lose it (!). For LastPass, I use Yubikey (I have three registered, two stored in safe places) and Duo Security (phone app). For most other sites I use Authy (installed on trusted devices.)
jonat

Return to Feedback