Why no desktop 2nd factor authication like Authy?

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Why no desktop 2nd factor authication like Authy?

Postby wavepax » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:08 pm

I want to use my desktop computer as my 2nd factor authentication device. I am not mobile and do not subscribe to a cell phone network. However, I have an Internet connection and a Google Voice number, which allows me to send and receive SMS messages like a person with a cell phone. Authy, a windows OS application for 2nd factor authentication, works with Google Voice. I also just noticed LastPass has a number of 2fa options in the security settings, along with their own authenticator. I'd like to use LastPass's authenticator because I imagine that it would automate the logins better than Authy (which I have to copy and paste the 2fa number from). However, LastPass only has mobile app options for cell phones, and no desktop authenticator. Why?

Not only can I not use LastPass's authenticator, I can't turn on 2fa for LastPass either since there appears to be zero support for a desktop authenticator. :shock:

Is there a Windows desktop version of the LastPass authenticator that I missed?

Is there a Lastpass 2fa security settings option for ANY Windows desktop authenticator, such as Authy?

My computer is as good (or as bad) as a cell phone as a 2nd factor authentication device. In many ways, cell phone networks are more insecure than the Internet. I cite the SS7 protocol's lack of secure authentication as a prime example of bad security associated with cell phone networks. I also cite lousy cell phone security associated with Google Android pre version 9. I also cite base station spoofings commonly done on cell phone networks by State spies and hackers.
wavepax

Re: Why no desktop 2nd factor authication like Authy?

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Your preferred product uses the exact same TOTP standard that Google Authenticator does. There's nothing stopping you from using it with LastPass.
jpenny84

Re: Why no desktop 2nd factor authication like Authy?

Postby wavepax » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:43 pm

I just tried choosing the Google Authenticator option in the LastPass security options and then used Authy with the given key for the Google Authenticator, and it worked. So now I have 2fa for LastPass.

Still wondering why the LastPass Authenticator doesn't have a desktop version.
wavepax

Return to Feedback