Generate and Fill Password Result Gone Forever

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Generate and Fill Password Result Gone Forever

Postby rando418908 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:32 pm

I encountered a scenario which resulted in loss of a newly generated password requiring a password reset request. A domain uses various 3rd-party web tools with separate accounts:

a.some.com
    b.some.com
    c.some.com

Two accounts were previously added to LastPass (a.some.com, b.some.com).

Logging into a third tool (c.some.com) for the first time enters a page to change its initial password. There is a LastPass button inside the password field which (when clicked) pops up a red "Generate and Fill" button which I dutifully press. A masked password is generated. I click the "save" button on c.some.com which exits the password-change page and returns to a log in page... because... some web tools do that. At the c.some.com login page, a LastPass popup asks "Which account should we update" a.some.com or b.some.com? Neither is correct, there is no option to add an account (c.some.com) and no option to copy the previous password to clipboard. The password is irretrievable and the "forgot password" button must be pressed.

Please allow an account to be created from the "Which account should we update" popup.
rando418908

Re: Generate and Fill Password Result Gone Forever

Postby Enigmativity » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:23 pm

I always copy & paste new passwords in to notepad before copying them to the site that I'm registering/updating so that I don't lose the password. It's a long-term strategy that I've learnt because LP loses passwords all the time.
Enigmativity

Return to Feedback