STOP TRACKING MY IP AND LOCATION

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

STOP TRACKING MY IP AND LOCATION

Postby allanonmage372 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 am

STOP TRACKING MY IP AND LOCATION THIS IS RIDICULOUS I DON'T WANT THIS FEATURE, DIDN'T ASK FOR IT, AND IT INTERFERES WITH THE STEPS I TAKE TO MAINTAIN AND PROTECT MY OWN SECURITY.

TURN THIS SHIT OFF.

Yes, I am actually yelling. I am not pleased about this circus I have to do almost every time I log in now. In addition to Lastpass's extension being broken on Firefox for over a year.

If you didn't know, Lastpass is now tracking login IPs, general geographic locations, and details about the browser that you use to login to the service with. If they "don't recognize" any of those details, they will prevent you from logging in to your account until you log in to your email to click on a link. This is a form of multi factor authentication. Coincidentally, since the silicon valley groupthink thinks this "feature" is a good idea, your email provider will also "not recognize" your device/IP/locations/what-have-you, and you'll be chasing your tail for who knows how long trying to do whatever it was that you were trying to do before you were derailed by nosey soyboy coders. Adding insult to injury, if you also use GMail, their forced multi-factor authentication mechanism will probably fail, and they you will be SOL.

I take several steps to secure my own stuff and silicon valley's groupthink is merely a stick in my bicycle wheel.

These mechanisms and problems are usually activated by using a VPN, NoScript, and other commonly available tools and techniques to protect your privacy and security. Yes, the bad guys use them too. However, I'm not a bad guy, so STAHP THROWING STICKS IN MY BICYCLE WHEELS JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.
allanonmage372

Re: STOP TRACKING MY IP AND LOCATION

Postby jpenny84 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:27 am

If you don't like that feature, then shut it off:

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=9222
jpenny84

Postby allanonmage372 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:56 pm

That's awesome, and exactly how it should be! I raged against the machine because I was under the impression I would have to convince the powers that be of my opinion. I never would have thought that there would already be a setting available.

Thanks for the link! I also found several other settings that I want to fiddle with.
allanonmage372

Postby MrMom » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:50 am

While on this topic I'm wondering how LastPass sends data back and forth to make sure it's not compromised.

Stupid question but let's say I was at an Internet cafe and using Lastpass and USING a VPN that logs my data would that make my password info potentially able to be seen by a third party?

Getting paranoid here as I use LastPass for all my financial stuff and I've been reading about logging policies of a lot of VPN companies and it's pretty scary. Here is a pretty big list - https://privacyaustralia.net/vpn-logs-revealed/

I know you guys talk about it here - https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=6926

But just wondering is it safe to use a VPN with my password protector?
MrMom

Postby FlyingHawk » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:59 pm

It's quite safe.
All your passwords are encrypted by your master passwords before saving or sending.
All data transfer between you and LastPass servers are further encrypted in transport using TLS / HTTPS.

Even if your VPN provider is logging all your traffic, they can only see that you're connecting to LastPass and made some requests, but can't see any actual data (payload), because it's all encrypted.
FlyingHawk

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:17 am

All encryption is performed client side. Even if the VPN provider was using a certificate authority to inspect SSL traffic, they would just see encrypted data being transmitted.
jpenny84

Postby johnowallter503 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:44 am

All your private information is protected.
johnowallter503

Postby johnowallter503 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 am

FlyingHawk Wrote:It's quite safe.
All your passwords are encrypted by your master passwords before saving or sending.
All data transfer between you and LastPass servers are further encrypted in transport using TLS / HTTPS.

Even if your VPN provider is logging all your traffic, they can only see that you're connecting to LastPass and made some requests, but can't see any actual data (payload), because it's all encrypted.

Agree with you!
johnowallter503

Return to Feedback