Price double for Premium users

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

100% Price Increase?

Postby dugbo1916 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm curious why the price for Premium doubled?
Been a Premium user for 3 years, the subs were fair and auto-renewal didn't bother me till now.
dugbo1916

Re: 100% Price Increase?

Postby jpenny84 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:24 pm

The current prices have been in place for the past year.
jpenny84

Upset about price jackup but not for the reason you think

Postby batshit » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:31 am

I'll always remember the way I was duped into purchasing this great software for $1/ mo then it doubled on me without notice after paying $1/mo for several years.

The interesting thing about this is that I think it's very good software, but it honestly changed the way I feel about the brand from an emotional perspective. It really did. I felt like LastPass didn't really care about me as longtime customer. Most companies would grandfather existing customers in at legacy rates or offer a special discount to existing customers if a rate increase was inevitable. I was never even given a warning about the price increase. It just showed up on the bill.

So you see, it jaded my perception of Lastpass. I no longer rave about it like I used to. I also don't go out of my way to recommend it like I used to. It feels like an emotional thing. The software is just as good as its always been, but my affection for the brand has shifted. I think the way they handled the price increase was penny wise and pound foolish. It's not really about the money so much. I pay more for other things, not as important. It's the way it all went down. The person who spearheaded that initiative should be fired. It's been about a year and I still feel moved to comment on it.
batshit

Re: Upset about price jackup but not for the reason you thin

Postby Rich4422 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:45 pm

batshit Wrote:I'll always remember the way I was duped into purchasing this great software for $1/ mo then it doubled on me without notice after paying $1/mo for several years.

The interesting thing about this is that I think it's very good software, but it honestly changed the way I feel about the brand from an emotional perspective. It really did. I felt like LastPass didn't really care about me as longtime customer. Most companies would grandfather existing customers in at legacy rates or offer a special discount to existing customers if a rate increase was inevitable. I was never even given a warning about the price increase. It just showed up on the bill.

All users were notified about the change. They even created FAQ for this specific purpose: https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=11352
Rich4422

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Rich4422 Wrote:[

All users were notified about the change. They even created FAQ for this specific purpose: https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=11352

Fortunately, a year of billing cycles has passed. The number of people unaware of the change should be minimized.
jpenny84

Re: Price double for Premium users

Postby deltavee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Just wanted to throw my two cents in the ring. I'm a long-time paid user and I am fairly infuriated by the price increase. I really don't think I'm getting double the value for double the price. It's a raw deal.

I've subscribed in the past to support the company and use 2FA. I'll be looking for better solutions in the future and plan to jump ship if things don't change.

I'm up for alternate solutions that have 2FA/Yubikey support, if anyone has any suggestions.
deltavee

Postby Rich4422 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:00 pm

deltavee Wrote:Just wanted to throw my two cents in the ring. I'm a long-time paid user and I am fairly infuriated by the price increase. I really don't think I'm getting double the value for double the price. It's a raw deal.

I've subscribed in the past to support the company and use 2FA. I'll be looking for better solutions in the future and plan to jump ship if things don't change.

I'm up for alternate solutions that have 2FA/Yubikey support, if anyone has any suggestions.

LastPass is currently the cheapest commercially backed password manager. Even those less feature-rich password managers like RoboForm and Sticky Password cost 5 bucks more than LastPass. So even tho you can feel infuriated, it won't change the market. Of course, you can try Bitwarden, which costs 10 bucks per year, but it's one man project without any security audit. And to be honest, I am pretty sure once this project will get bigger, the price won't stay the same.
Rich4422

Postby diknows » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:11 pm

This is ridiculous! How can you do a price increase of 100% when I'm not using anything different? I am totally not interested in continuing using LastPass, even though I've been a Premium member for six years. What I find strange is that others on here seem to have got the price increase last year but I still paid $12 in October 2017. Not happy!! :x
diknows

Postby JAZZKAT » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Rich4422 Wrote:
batshit Wrote:I'll always remember the way I was duped into purchasing this great software for $1/ mo then it doubled on me without notice after paying $1/mo for several years.

So, an FAQ was created but an email was never sent to LP subscribers?? We would have to have gone "looking" for the price increase? Is that what you're saying here?

How would I even suspect you would be doing such thing? It's not like I go searching for that type of thing. I expect price increases the normal, usual way I get them from companies I do business with: emails, newsletters, etc. You know, a bit of respect and not making me HUNT for something as important as doubling the price of their product I've been buying for years.

Disgusting to pull on customers who've praised and sent you business to help your company grow. Guess we are really appreciated, hmmm? Wonder what we need to be "searching" for next!!??
JAZZKAT

Postby Rich4422 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:23 am

JAZZKAT Wrote:
Rich4422 Wrote:

So, an FAQ was created but an email was never sent to LP subscribers?? We would have to have gone "looking" for the price increase? Is that what you're saying here?

How would I even suspect you would be doing such thing? It's not like I go searching for that type of thing. I expect price increases the normal, usual way I get them from companies I do business with: emails, newsletters, etc. You know, a bit of respect and not making me HUNT for something as important as doubling the price of their product I've been buying for years.

Disgusting to pull on customers who've praised and sent you business to help your company grow. Guess we are really appreciated, hmmm? Wonder what we need to be "searching" for next!!??

I am not an employee of LastPass/LogMeIn. And no, that's not what I was saying. My first sentence literally says that all users were notified. FAQ was just an additional info from me because it states that existing users will be notified, just as a proof.

"For existing LastPass Premium customers, the new price is effective for accounts that are set to renew after September 1st 2017 and you will receive a renewal notification via email in advance of your renewal date. ..."
Rich4422

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback