Price double for Premium users

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Price double for Premium users

Postby btaplin27 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 pm

I agree 100%. This increase is out of line.
I just got a notification that my premium membership (which I don’t need) is expiring.
I was dumbfounded when I saw the new price.
I used to pay the premium membership to support LP although I didn’t need the premium features.
I will not be renewing at the new price level. $32.99 CDN per year is far too rich for my blood.
btaplin27

Postby ihartley » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 am

Iceymanz Wrote:I'm concerned I received no notification of price rise and had to read the forum (for an unrelated issue) and then check news sites to discover what this means.

Depending on the country, increasing the auto-renewal price - without an explicit statement to the individual user - would be a violation on most bank/credit cards terms and you would be well within your right to ask LP or your bank for a refund. Essentially, you cannot "sign"/agree to something where the price increases 100% without having the right to review/cancel.

Very weird LP are completely silent. Maybe too busy counting their buy-out cash.....
ihartley

Postby malmcdnz7898482 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi, I too am somewhat disappointed by the increase (double) of the Premium version of LastPass. I have been a Premium subscriber for a few years and have enthusiastically told everyone I know what a wonderful and invaluable tool it is. While I never really needed the advanced features that the Premium version offers I was happy to subscribe as I saw this as an affordable way of thanking you for the product and to encourage further development. Unfortunately, the new price structure makes this unaffordable for me and I will have to drop down to the free version.
However, I would just like to say that I still think it is a fantastic product and I commend everyone involved for all the hard work they have put into making it so. I am also VERY appreciative that you offer the terrific Free version.
If I could just make one suggestion it would be this - Would you consider developing an intermediary version (at a middle price range) that people on a fixed income, like myself, could subscribe to? The Premium version, while no doubt marvelous and good value to the more advanced user, offers features than an 'old fella' like me doesn't understand and, possibly/probably doesn't need. Just a thought.
Thanks again to everyone at the LastPass Team.
malmcdnz7898482

Postby RAPTOR999 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:58 am

The only reason why I visited this forum because I was shocked by the price to extend my subscription.

I am concerned by the price. You guys bombarded me with emails yet the price is very high.

I'm going back to free version. Thank you.

Ini the mean time I'm looking for other option with a wide chance of not looking back to LAST PASS.

Good job guys.
RAPTOR999

Postby lp750 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Oh FFS you people are seriously complaining about $24 a year? How many times a day do you use LP? 10, 20, 50, 100? How many other apps are more vital to what you do every day. Does LP regularly crap out and leave you hosed w/out your passwords in critical times - or does it work 99.999% of the time?

Now with that in mind - think real hard about the other software you use and pay money for. Think about the $$ you pay vs the value it gives you. I'll bet you pay more than $24/yr on some crappy software that you're not really happy with - but you've decided even though you don't really like it, and theres not really anything else, don't feel like switching, so you pay the money. It is "worth it" based on your personal maybe subconscience cost/benefit calculation. In that context - you know LP offers much more benefit for the cost.

Now, think of the people who write this code. Imagine you and a bunch of other devs wrote this code. If you had the skillz to write and maintain this critical (we're not flappy bird here, there is a lot of pressure if this code sucks) software - what do you think you're salary would be? What would be you're market rate and what would it take for LP/LMI to retain you? Now think of the team you would need and what they would need to be paid. If you were responsible for paying that team - what do you think you'd want to charge for this software?

Now I know LP is part of big corp now with dumb execs and a board who wants profit and whatnot, but they still gotta pay the people writing the code, and those people have kids to feed and want their market rate.

Look - the problem is you people are comparing LP price to other "free" software. You don't like paying for software, everything should be free, F the capitalist patriarchy, bring it all down etc etc - I get it. I don't work for LP or LMI and honestly I'm not even a big fan of capitalism - I'm just a user that knows the value (to me) of the software I use and I'd rather pay for it in cash than have it payed for some other way.

Which brings up another point - don't be so short sighted. Think about a world where all software is free. I hate to tell you - but in that world - and EVERY other world - somebody is getting paid and someone is paying. If you're getting software for free (or unusually cheap) guess what: you're not the customer - you're the product. Be smart - pay money for your software. Don't make them sell YOU to get their cash.

And for those of you who say F it, you're going to drop LP and go to some other tool - good luck. I've looked myself and the only thing that provides close to the features/functionality is 1Password - which at $50 is 2x LP's new price. From where I sit it looks like LP is actually really underpriced, even at $24/year.
lp750

Postby felixatagong » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:14 pm

"Does LP regularly crap out and leave you hosed w/out your passwords in critical times - or does it work 99.999% of the time?"
Yes, it does. Not saving passwords on Firefox, not connecting to server on Firefox. Had to delete and re-install today because i couldn't get in in any password protected website.
felixatagong

Postby jorhett » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:40 pm

I have no problem with LastPass doubling the price. It's still cheaper and better than any alternative I can find.

I would like to see the increased funding be invested in product quality.
jorhett

Postby wilsonyu077671 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:10 pm

I didn't even notice the price increase until it auto renewal 5 days ago. When did they announce the price increase? Did anyone receive any email notification?
wilsonyu077671

Postby cmasia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 am

From a marketing standpoint, it would seem LP is attempting suicide by doubling the price at exactly the same time their service is not working properly on Firefox.

Until this week, I had never even looked at another password manager, but...
cmasia

Postby evidenssi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 am

lp750 Wrote:Oh FFS you people are seriously complaining about $24 a year? How many times a day do you use LP? 10, 20, 50, 100? How many other apps are more vital to what you do every day. Does LP regularly crap out and leave you hosed w/out your passwords in critical times - or does it work 99.999% of the time?

Yes, I think $24 per year is too much. $12 was bit steep also, but I was okay with it. I guess I don't need the premium version.
evidenssi

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback