Password Generator Automation is More Difficult than Manual

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Password Generator Automation is More Difficult than Man

Postby andy532 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:01 pm

I also have a had this issue, where the automatically generated and filled passwords are not saved to the vault. Also, when I already have a login for a specific URL, and I generate a password for a different account at the same URL, LastPass detects a password change and opens an update password prompt, but with no option to add a new site.
andy532

Postby mrw0127447 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:03 pm

+1 on this. Just generated a password for a new site. No idea what it is, and no place to find a list of generated passwords. Been migrating from Dashlane to LastPass for several better features, but LastPass is really waaaaay behind the development ball on this feature. Also noticed that when the website asked me to sign up for their newsletter, LastPass did not offer any fill options like Dashlane does.
mrw0127447

Postby ApocalypticRage » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:26 pm

So this seems to be a rather pervasive problem. It has been going on a good while too, one would think a fix would be on the way. Any word on a fix being released any time soon? The mods seem to be silent on this topic.
ApocalypticRage

Postby jonat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:48 pm

There's major bugs going back a year and a half that haven't been touched. I keep seeing announcements of improvements to LP but this evidently doesn't include fixing bugs that affect thousands of users.
jonat

Postby 10Ring » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:53 pm

For those, like me, that have also struggled with this....from somewhere hidden in LastPass support...

(https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=7356)

"You can find a history of recently generated passwords by clicking on the lastpass extension > generate password > click on the down arrow in the password field.
Note: Generated passwords will only store history for those created in the same session. If a new login session is created, previously generated passwords will not appear."

I finally found this and it saved me a lot of headaches. Not nearly as good as if it worked properly to begin with, but better than hassling with PW resets that aren't automated.

Hope this helps.
10Ring

Postby sach89 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Same thing is happening to me - And it is very random - Sometime it saves, sometimes it doesn't
sach89

Postby me674 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:47 pm

exact same problem here, generates password but never saves it!!!
me674

Postby stanA » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 pm

I am a brand new user and have had no success with the password generator. On every site lastpass generates a new password, shows a pop-up window with an update button, shows a large green checkmark after i click on the button but does not retain the password in the vault. Therfore, I can no longer log onto the site. Should I give up in frustration or am I doing something wrong?
stanA

Postby jraethel638 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:26 pm

I'm finding that I sometimes have to navigate to a different page internal to the website for LastPass to ask if I want to save the credentials. This creates a lot of uncertainty and leads to a lot of manual password generation, just like others are doing as well. The failure of this automation when it used to work very reliably is making me less happy with this program.
jraethel638

Postby dmontgomery637 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:05 pm

10Ring Wrote:For those, like me, that have also struggled with this....from somewhere hidden in LastPass support...

(https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=7356)

"You can find a history of recently generated passwords by clicking on the lastpass extension > generate password > click on the down arrow in the password field.
Note: Generated passwords will only store history for those created in the same session. If a new login session is created, previously generated passwords will not appear."

I finally found this and it saved me a lot of headaches. Not nearly as good as if it worked properly to begin with, but better than hassling with PW resets that aren't automated.

Hope this helps.

I do not find this works, if I click the icon next to a password field to allow LastPass to generate it, it does not show up in the history drop down you mention above. This drop down only seems to work for passwords I go manually generate.
dmontgomery637

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback