Password Generator Automation is More Difficult than Manual

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Password Generator Automation is More Difficult than Manual

Postby justinmyway » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:55 am

I understand the impulse to remove from the screen the generated password. But on some sites, the password generator will change the password and not save the password into the vault. When that happens, I don't know what the password is, it has been changed on the site, and its not saved into the Vault.

I know there's an option to view the password, but you used to be able to copy right from that screen, in case you have to update the vault manually.

And there's no place to refresh if the generated password doesn't meet the minimum standards or has characters that are not allowed.

There was just more optional functionality to the old password generator. I don't understand why this was taken away.
justinmyway

Re: Password Generator Automation is More Difficult than Man

Postby jonat » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:06 pm

I have to agree - there have been multiple occasions in the past few days where I used the generator's "Fill" button, and when I submitted the password change (or setting) form, the generated password was never saved.
jonat

Postby jmadren » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:50 am

I also agree. The old generator would prompt to save the password as a new site, but now it just fills in the password and goes away. I can't even find a history of generated passwords to recover it myself. You have to copy the password before accepting it, then manually login to the site so it will save to the vault (or manually create a vault entry yourself). Not good.

Don't know if it like this on every site, but this was the scenario for me on myactivehealth.com.
jmadren

Postby BK303 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:07 am

+100 The new Password Generator Drop-Down / Automation is BIG FAIL!! --- Please revert ASAP
(recent Chrome plugins including 4.1.41 on Chrome with Windows 10)
1. New Password Generate dialog is less clear
2. It requires more clicks to do my normal tasks
3. It doesn't save offer to save the password (update site record) when I press FILL as was prior behavior
4. Combined with the current bugs in detecting password changes, it doesn't save the new password! So we have to manually copy-paste-copy-paste to update the site record.
5. It makes me pull out my hair!! and want to switch to a different password manager. Since a password manager that doesn't generate and save passwords is fairly USELESS!!
See also,
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=244975#p819605
BK303

Postby WH » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:21 am

Lastpass is a piece of now.

I have lost a couple of password changes, and it also failed to save the passwords generated in reset password processes. Some website refused 2nd reset attempt and I have to wait.
WH

generate and fill

Postby tomneverwinter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:45 am

Lets be honest this feature is nice and all, but it blows when the service is too stupid to save it for the site automatically.... (it sucks even more when there is a site dedicated to creating a password for the site so it is saved not for the correct site but the generated one) Its even worse because my work around was just copy any password ever made and edit it right then and there, but now it hides it. can you fix this by adding a feature to see last five generated passwords in a menu. TLDR; SAVE PASSWORDS REGARDLESS SOMEWHERE
tomneverwinter

Postby spicychckn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:27 am

This exactly!! I have had multiple times when I am creating an account on a website and I press the generate and fill button for a password, then submit my account creation only to have lastpass fail to catch the request and save the information. I end up with an account that I don't have the password for. I thought there use to be a feature that would show your your last x number of generated passwords.
spicychckn

Postby jwmcvety232 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:37 am

Any update on this? It's terrible. I wind up putting a simple password in first then having to copy and paste the generated password into Lastpass. Not very efficient. Much better before.
jwmcvety232

Postby davejb » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Damn it! This happened to me again. I was on the phone with Wells Fargo because my access had been suspended. I got to where I used LastPass to generate a password and forgot that this feature DOESN'T work (hence the workaround of manually copying the password). Now I don't know the password to the account and will have to call Wells Fargo AGAIN and spend 15 minutes dealing with this. FIX THIS!
davejb

Postby Whaines » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:30 pm

I came here to post exactly this. I've lost so many passwords by the new autogenerate/autofill system. I wouldn't mind it if it would at least save the generated passwords like it used to. I copy the password every time before filling now because I absolutely do not trust this new implementation to save my generated passwords.
Whaines

Next

Return to Feedback