U2F support

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

U2F support

Postby tfm » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Hello,

I'm asking here because the U2F thread is locked. You say that you won't support U2F until all major browsers support U2f. Chrome supports it and Firefox does with a plugin. That's about 56% of users, according to Wikipedia [1]. I don't understand why you need to wait until all major browsers support it [2] before you can add support. U2F is the gold standard when it comes to multi-factor authentication, and is surely something you should be encouraging users to use.

Thanks!
Tom

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_sha ... b_browsers
[2] https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=8126
tfm

Re: U2F support

Postby platron » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:28 pm

I completely agree. The stipulation that "all major browsers" support U2F is totally arbitrary, since by definition anyone who purchases a U2F dongle is already making choices about what hardware and software to use to maximize his or her security. Ironically, U2F is especially useful for less sophisticated users, since typing in a 2FA code is potentially hazardous in a MiM situation, but plugging in a U2F device is at the very worst ineffective, never dangerous. And the least sophisticated users these days (I'm looking at you, parent/spouse) are likely to have cheap Chromebooks, which of course run Chrome.
Despite quite a few pending gift subscriptions, I have never managed to convince a non-technical person to start using LastPass, and a simple "just plug in your key" login process would go along way to helping me convince them.
platron

FIDO U2F

Postby latentexistence » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:13 am

I have been a paying customer of Lastpass for several years however I am extremely disappointed in the lack of support for U2F keys. I have decided I won't be paying again until Lastpass can be bothered to support this standard.
latentexistence

Postby tfm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Is anyone from LastPass able to comment on this? Is U2F on the roadmap?

Like the last poster, I won't be renewing my subscription if support isn't added, since I believe it brings into question the focus LastPass have on security.
tfm

Postby jpenny84 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 am

There's a FAQ article already about the status of U2F support. The original poster has linked to referenced FAQ article. Consider the matter asked and answered.
jpenny84

Return to Feedback