LastPass 4.0 Is Here

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Emergency Access is a Failure (Marketing?)

Postby anatoly_LP » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:28 pm

daveneener641 Wrote:Let me start by saying I love LastPass and plan on being a premium subscriber for some time to come. AND, I plan on getting my wife subscribed soon. That said, the email I received announcing Emergency Access in 4.0 gave me false hope. The fact that I cannot add emergency contacts whom I trust, without them first being Last Pass subscribers, fails from my point of view. I should be able to have a spouse / friend / relative / etc be able to get into my account in an emergency (with my approval), without their needing to sign-up...even if it's a very limited access.

I tried to add my wife as my emergency contact, but was told I could not since she wasn't a subscriber and would I like LP to send her an invitation. This feels like marketing / clickbaiting. But if I somehow missed the ability to add her as an approved emergency access contact, without her needing to do anything at the moment, please let me know.

Unfortunately having both users have LastPass accounts is the only way the security model works, because it requires stored public/private keys for passing the encryption keys. Keep in mind that Emergency Access is available for all accounts, so your spouse can create a free account just for this purpose.
anatoly_LP
Site Admin

Postby J42 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:31 pm

Unfortunately having both users have LastPass accounts is the only way the security model works, because it requires stored public/private keys for passing the encryption keys. Keep in mind that Emergency Access is available for all accounts, so your spouse can create a free account just for this purpose.[/quote]

Why not log the email address specified against the account and require them to make an account at the time of requesting access? That seems to provide emergency access for those who will need it without creating a bunch of unnecessary accounts?
J42

Re: LastPass 4.0 Is Here

Postby enterpriseuser0708 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:35 pm

Awful! Just awful! What the heck were they thinking?!? Designed by third graders.
enterpriseuser0708

Lastpass 4.0 so slow it is unusable

Postby duckworth » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:44 pm

I know I have likely more saved passwords than most, but the 4.0 interface take so long to load and do anything that it often hangs for 10-20 seconds at a time waiting. Click between sections, trying to search etc. are painful. This is on the latest version of Chrome and Firefox on a 2.8GHz Core I7 Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM!

Please spend some time on the performance of the new interface before we are forced to use it.
Last edited by duckworth on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckworth

Re: Lastpass 4.0 so slow it is unusable

Postby hms » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Yes, the new Lastpass vault is awful.
You have reduced the number of items able to be displayed on the screen, so more scrolling is involved to find the item you require. (That is when in list mode.)
Please, please, please do not implement this change, or allow users to continue to use the existing vault design, and not force this update upon them.
h
hms

Postby jpenny84 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:51 pm

J42 Wrote:
Why not log the email address specified against the account and require them to make an account at the time of requesting access? That seems to provide emergency access for those who will need it without creating a bunch of unnecessary accounts?

Such a system wouldn't work with asymmetric cryptography. You need a public key from the recipient in order to encrypt the data when a share is created. Public keys only exist if there is a matching private key.
jpenny84

Postby hms » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:55 pm

Agreed, the new vault layout is awful.
In list view, you see a far smaller list due to the extra space around each line, leading to extra scrolling to find the item you require.
Did no one actually see this and think 'Hmmm, this doesn't work very well!'
Can we continue to use LastPass without having this upgrade forced upon us?
h
hms

Postby Brian67 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Emergency Access? If I have to be around to approve my contact's access...what's the point of emergency access? I am missing something?
I would expect the access is needed when I'm deceased, missing-in-action or incapacitated. Also the activation screen does not tell what email I am to enter.. is it mine? The contacts? Or some new one?
Brian67

LastPass 4.0 Emergency Access - Useless?

Postby tybrewer461 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 pm

First off, I love the idea of the Emergency Access. The ability for my family to access my accounts in an emergency is a great feature. Without the prior participation of a willing party, I can't use this feature.

But the requirement that my Emergency Contacts to first become LastPass users seems like nothing more than a "viral marketing" feature. When I tried to set up my brother as an emergency user, he was confused by the request. And until he actually becomes a LastPass user, I can't list him as an Emergency Contact. This is backwards.

This method creates a dependency - I (a paying customer) can't set up my Emergency Access users until other people join LastPass. That takes control away from me. I can't even add the Emergency Contact to my list unless they have PREVIOUSLY joined LastPass. The sequence is all wrong.

How to fix this:
Let me add my Emergency Access users today, and if (later on) they need to access my account, they can THEN join LastPass - and they're already on my list.

It's like AT&T only allowing you to call friends who are AT&T customers - a little heavy-handed in the attempt to grow the user base.
tybrewer461

Re: Lastpass 4.0 so slow it is unusable

Postby jpenny84 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:00 pm

hms Wrote:Yes, the new Lastpass vault is awful.
You have reduced the number of items able to be displayed on the screen, so more scrolling is involved to find the item you require. (That is when in list mode.)
Please, please, please do not implement this change, or allow users to continue to use the existing vault design, and not force this update upon them.
h

For the time being, you can switch back to the old interface. In your vault, click the picture in the upper right hand corner, and there should be a toggle button. Keep in mind though that eventually, the option to revert to the old interface will be switched off.
jpenny84

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback