LastPass is Being Acquired by LogMeIn

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: LastPass is Being Acquired by LogMeIn

Postby Tankbot85 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:56 pm

My wife and her company were using LogMeIn. Horrible company. I convinced them to swap over to another service and we have had no complaints now.

Looks like it is time to move on from Last pass. I have been a paying customer for about 4 to 5 years now. That will be stopping as soon as i find a competing service.
Tankbot85

Postby lostinthemidwest » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Just so you can see I am not kidding about jumping ship, I just fired off this email to Dashlane:
Subject: Lastpass refugee: give me your sales pitch
Hi,

Seeing that Lastpass is selling out to satan, I am interested in alternatives.
1. Is there a technical whitepaper that discusses how you handle encryption?
2. how you deal with potential NSL and/or three letter agency requests?
3. Do you have a warrant canary?

With your app, how does it cope with importing from Lastpass?

Finally, it would be a good idea to offer an extended free trial to former Lastpass users, there'll be plenty of people looking for alternatives in the next few weeks.
lostinthemidwest

Postby lawyergs471 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:12 pm

anatoly_LP Wrote:Before you guys head for the exits for the wrong reasons, it might be wise to calm down and take a wait-and-see approach. The blog post has been updated with more info: https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/10/lastp ... mein.html/

LP and its leadership can say whatever they want, but what they apparently do not understand is they are no longer the boss and do not make those or any other decisions, LMI does. The LP employees absorbed by LMI will quickly learn that they either go along with what LMI dictates to them, or they look for another job. As a customer, I would rather head for the exits now on my own time table and come back if proven wrong than be trapped with limited options and imposed deadlines when the other shoe falls, as history suggests with LMI.
lawyergs471

Postby mtaylor448 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:23 pm

yep.... this is bad news... everyone seems to know the bad reputation LogMeIn has. time to move on... I predict lastpass will die a slow death.... RIP Lastpass.
mtaylor448

Postby 2bornot2b » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:29 pm

At one time, I used to like logmein but then they alienated me with steep prices and murky software changes. Their acquisition of LastPass seems a disappointment, because I have begun to feel comfortable with and to like LastPass. I sincerely hope LastPass will not follow in logmein footsteps in the way that users are treated. :(
2bornot2b

Postby cg03026 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Dear Joe Siegrist,

You must be desperate. And, no, I will not be "supporting you on your journey." Your "journey" how trite! Did you go to a seminar or something where they said to say "journey" like win-win, or "it's a two-fer?" Good grief, Charlie Brown.

I expect the new features to be a price hike and a lost of functionality; to basically be told I am not a customer anymore, and to buy the new, better product because the old LastPass has passed (away). I am a LastPass Premium user, paid up until April 21, 2016. I doubt I'll even get that out of you.

I was betrayed by LogMeIn a year or two ago when they abandoned the App on my iPhone that I PAID FOR (not free), and they said would last forever as a functional App. No matter how I approached LogMeIn their response was go eff yourself. Now LastPass is going to abandon me in the name of LogMeIn.

I went to TeamViewer and have been served faithfully ever since. No crap, like LogMe-NOT-In.

I expect that all LastPass customers are about to get screwed, so get ready to bend over or find an alternative. I'm already looking. And to think I used to tell friends and family that LastPass was good. And, yes, the App is good, was good, until now. I don't trust LogMeIn one iota. Boy, do I regret recommending LastPass now. There are plenty of options. I just wonder how difficult it will be to migrate all my information.

Joe, you send me an email saying how thrilled you are! Well, I am sure your customer base isn't and it will get mighty worse over time.

Good bye,
Sandy
cg03026

And the DoubleSpeak begins ...

Postby MikeInSeattle » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Thank you for all the support we have received in response to our exciting news today.

The comments I've seen have been overwhelmingly negative. Why are you trying to put a positive spin on it? This is good for LastPass owners, congratulations. For users, it's terrible news. LogMeIn is obviously buying out the competition -- apparently thinking that will increase market share. They are so wrong.

I am a paid subscriber. I will not be renewing. There are free alternatives that are good enough

This is the worst news I've heard since National Geo announced they were teaming with Rupert Murdoch.
MikeInSeattle

Postby cg03026 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:40 pm

anatoly_LP Wrote:Before you guys head for the exits for the wrong reasons, it might be wise to calm down and take a wait-and-see approach. The blog post has been updated with more info: https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/10/lastp ... mein.html/

Saying " First of all, we (LogMeIn/LastPass) have no plans to change our existing business model." is all I needed to hear. "No plans" is a far cry from "We will NOT change our business practices." Smoke and mirrors.

OF COURSE, they plan to change.
cg03026

Postby SophiaB » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:41 pm

This must have been the WORST news I ever woke up to... well in tech news that is. I mean... LogMeIn... the most HORRIBLE company on earth :x

I happily used their product but for only one single purpose: help my Dad and manage our Media PC. I spent 29 euros for their app... then moved to Canada and was forced to buy ANOTHER version of their app because they used regions. My husband and my dad bought their app... that is $120 down the drain because only MONTHS later, they screwed their loyal customers by taking away the free model. I have been using TeamViewer ever since which is a much better product anyway - and FREE for non commercial use. They butchered Hamachi and join.me.

I simply CANNOT support any service acquired by that dreadful company and as much as it pains me to say it, I have already bought an upgrade licence for 1Password and will move my family's passwords over to them. It's a sad, sad day :cry:
SophiaB

Postby TrekRich » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:46 pm

I am sorry to hear this, and will be waiting to hear what Steve Gibson's thoughts are on the matter. Hopefully he will do full review of other services like he did lastpass. It could be worse though... Symantec could have bought them!
TrekRich

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback