LastPass is Being Acquired by LogMeIn

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: LastPass is Being Acquired by LogMeIn

Postby braband67 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:31 am

I am a premium LastPass user. I was also a long-time user of LogMeIn until they changed their business model and screwed us. LogMeIn killed off Hamachi after they "took it over to make it better"... I fully expect LastPass to also be absorbed and killed off by LogMeIn... so I'll be cancelling my premium subscription and looking for a new and better solution. It was nice knowing you LastPass... Enjoy the dark side. I don't want my $ going to LogMeIn...
braband67

Postby ibstech » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:34 am

The death bell is tolling for LastPass. LogMeIn is a horrible company for freemium users and a terrible company for paid subscribers. As a LogMeIn user I know what is coming for LastPass users - massive rate hikes and an elimination of the free product. LogMeIn once had an awesome structure of both free and paid products and then suddenly the free product were reduced and users moved to the paid product where the rates doubled three years in a row before only having a "small" 20% increase in 2015. Don't believe me just Google "LogMeIn price increase" and read about it for yourself.

Yes like many others have noted this is a terrible move for LastPass and the start of the decline of their free product and paid users can expect massive price increases with relatively few, if any, product enhancements. Start looking folks for an alternative, you'll need one sooner than you think.
ibstech

Postby BCuz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:40 am

Add me to the top of the lists of users who will be migrating both personal and business accounts to an alternate service. Way to shoot down your credibility as a company.

According to The Verge: "According to the statement, LogMeIn is planning to merge LastPass with another password-management company, Meldium, which was bought last year by LogMeIn. Eventually, Meldium and LastPass will go under the LastPass brand....In today's statement, LogMeIn's CEO says the deal complements the company's current offerings, and "instantly gives us a market-leading position in password management."

Unfortunately the CEO doesn't realize the utter dislike for his brand, that LP users are going to flee to competitors and his increase in market share will be nil. Way to tarnish the LastPass brand, starting today, developers.
BCuz

Postby gdave » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:54 am

I've always known that I get way more than $12 of value from LastPass and I think it's natural to reach the phase where it's time to monetize the asset. If anything, I'm a bit surprised that it hadn't happened earlier. I'm not sure I can get completely comfortable with the type or product category of company they are joining. I fully understand that the decryption happens locally on my computer and that LastPass doesn't have access to my unencrpyted data. But it still feels a bit unsettling to have the keys to my whole digital world being managed by experts in remote access. The optics just aren't good.
gdave

Postby illutian » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:57 am

Time to look for another provider...

Won't be long until LastPass is no longer free and requires ~$30/mo
illutian

Postby anatoly_LP » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Before you guys head for the exits for the wrong reasons, it might be wise to calm down and take a wait-and-see approach. The blog post has been updated with more info: https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/10/lastp ... mein.html/
anatoly_LP
Site Admin

Postby driftpeasant769 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Except that was what LogMeIn said about Hamachi, and TeamViewer, and others, so there's not a lot of trust we have in those assurances.
driftpeasant769

Joe Siegrist & The LastPass Team

Postby barefootone » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Have you lost your collective minds??

Either you got greedy and decided to take the money and run, or you don't care about your user base! Log Me In? OK I'll bite! Just why do you want to sell LastPass? If you want to get out of the business, then what about selling the business to your paying customer base?? ANYTHING is better than LogMeIn! Sell to Donald Trump! Find somebody that cares for the clients!
barefootone

Postby jason683 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:19 pm

This is a terrible move. I am yet another permanently-former customer of LogMeIn. You don't just get over the way they treated their longtime customers. I will not get over my desire to punish them for their behavior because you are joining them. I have lived with your growing pains because you have been an admirable company. As part of LogMeIn, you no longer qualify as such. I'm sorry for all of us. If you can reverse this move, please do -- otherwise, I'm looking for an alternative, and not because I wanted to.
jason683

Postby nolongerafan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Sorry Joe, your assurances might be sincere in the short term, but the community knows what LMI will do in the long run.You could have sold to just about anyone else (except maybe Symantec/DynDNS) and the community would have rallied behind you. You have lost another fanboy today.
nolongerafan

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback