What will happen with all the data in / about my account?

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

What will happen with all the data in / about my account?

Postby Apenguinci » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:10 am

I've become more pro-active about making sure my data isn't left lying around after the countless leaks from online services. So in preparation I went xmarks.com to delete my account data before xMarks goes offline, however there is no clear indication as to what type of delete happens.

From the description it simply says the username can't be used again. This means its possible nothing changes on the backend except for a flag that says account deleted, but all the data is still there. Basically I'd like to find out whats going to happen with the data my account generated over the years.

Paying for the service gave me some level of security that it wasnt being sold and there was some effort to protect it. With the service being spun down I'm kinda wondering where all the data is gonna end up.

Any plans on a public statement as to whats going to happen with the data?
Apenguinci

Re: What will happen with all the data in / about my account

Postby driesdokter991 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:53 am

We know that lastpass took a back seat on Xmarks some time ago but it is a pity that a company that claims to be very security driven has not answered this question yet. Makes me wonder if that claim is in fact true, it is all about trust and this does not make me trust lastpass more.....
driesdokter991

Re: What will happen with all the data in / about my account

Postby Apenguinci » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Found this, although it looks like they already shut down premium tickets you can open a regular ticket and hope for the best, i just did.

https://buy.xmarks.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=6426

edit: As a post script thought on the entire matter; i wonder what will happen to all my data - and note i mean not just my bookmarks, i mean the records of my entire history including im sure access logs, change logs, billing logs, etc. Data once written rarely gets erased, so where will the data end up resting? All the countless backups? I feel the possibility of a short sarcastic commentary years from now, tracing the travels of your xmark data from company shutdown to current day.
Apenguinci

Return to Xmarks