It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Postby Tradewind25 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:36 am

I use multiple PCs on which I primarily use the Chrome browser. I also have a couple of iPads (using Safari) and an Android phone.
The best approach I have found so far is this:
a) Sync the various Chrome instances via Google bookmarks.
b) Sync the iPads via iCloud bookmarks.
c) On my PCs, use iCloud for Windows to keep the two sets of bookmarks in sync.
For backup purposes, occasionally export and retain the Chrome bookmarks file.

So far things seem to work OK but for the following:
1. I have always made use of the 'description' field in XMarks to add stuff like Account IDs and password reminders to some of my bookmarks. I can see no way of adding descriptions/notes to bookmarks in either Google or iCloud.
2. I now effectively have no master copy of my bookmarks - they are 'shared' between Google & Apple and I dread what happens when things go wrong e.g. duplicate or missing bookmarks.
3. I've already said it: "Google and Apple" - do I really want these two pernicious companies access to all my bookmarks and account IDs??!
Tradewind25

Postby varter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Someone else mentioned EverSync, Bookmark OS, and Linkman. I tried them all. Bookmark OS is OK if you just want your start page to be your bookmarks. I really want them in each browser as the actual bookmarks bar or menu. Linkman is neat and super feature rich (almost overkill), but again, no direct browse menu of links (even if the extensions show the menu it would be OK).

EverSync is the only one I really found easy and very similar to Xmarks. I mean it is really close and just works. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Vince
varter

Postby Droidophobe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Tradewind25 Wrote:I use multiple PCs on which I primarily use the Chrome browser. I also have a couple of iPads (using Safari) and an Android phone.
The best approach I have found so far is this:
a) Sync the various Chrome instances via Google bookmarks.
b) Sync the iPads via iCloud bookmarks.
c) On my PCs, use iCloud for Windows to keep the two sets of bookmarks in sync.
For backup purposes, occasionally export and retain the Chrome bookmarks file.

So far things seem to work OK but for the following:
1. I have always made use of the 'description' field in XMarks to add stuff like Account IDs and password reminders to some of my bookmarks. I can see no way of adding descriptions/notes to bookmarks in either Google or iCloud.
2. I now effectively have no master copy of my bookmarks - they are 'shared' between Google & Apple and I dread what happens when things go wrong e.g. duplicate or missing bookmarks.
3. I've already said it: "Google and Apple" - do I really want these two pernicious companies access to all my bookmarks and account IDs??!

I can't see any easy answer to this. There aren't many programs/apps that will work with Chrome, iOS, and Android. I tried Eversync but found it to be unwieldy on iOS, and while I liked the features of BookmarkOS, I didn't like having to access the web to use it rather than an embedded app/extension.

1. For unimportant sites, I add a password reminder right to the website name where I can see it. For important stuff, I use Last Pass but may switch to a different password manager because this XMarks fiasco has left a very bad taste in my mouth for this company.

2. I would export your existing bookmarks from XMarks to an html document now. At least you'll have a current list if Google and Apple have a fight.

3. Google and Apple is a massive concern in my paranoid world. You could consider switching to an iPhone and Firefox, then you could use iCloud across all your devices with a password manager of your choosing, and kick Google to the curb. Not good solutions, I know, but it's the hand we've been dealt.
Droidophobe

Postby maxwelloau835 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:28 pm

maverick74 Wrote:Created an account just to mention a great ALTERNATIVE:

Floccus ( https://github.com/marcelklehr/floccus )

I believe it's the best alternative we all have...

Sorry, minimum 50 users and 1900 euro! Is there a single user option or a free minimum storage that would be usable for a single user? Or perhaps a different url to say dropbox but cant see the option to use that.
maxwelloau835

Postby lilking420 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:46 pm

ataripower Wrote:Well it's goodbye to Lastpass from me. Can't justify renewing my subscription now. Poor decision by them.

Ditto!
lilking420

Postby johno246 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:14 pm

The only reason I signed on to Last Pass was because of XMarks.
johno246

Postby capbiker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:38 am

nemesis666first788 Wrote:
Postby Yuyox » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Would it be possible to make it open source?

Hey hey xD it's would be fun, but exept if you ask the source code to XMarks (LastPass), you must recreate it "yourself", personnaly, I dont have any skill in this, I'm System Engineer, but nothing to do with developement xD .

Anyone brave for this task :D ?

Just my luck, I earmarked Xmark as a best solution for me for bookmark syncing, a few months ago. I just come on to get it installed and everything. To find out, that it is being discontinued.

With the recreating it yourself, with my developer hat on. That could be a massive task to complete, in such a short time. Because you will need to consider the following things:

Sorting out hardware to run the replacement system. Getting it all configured, install the required software etc
Do you build the system from scratch, or look at using a framework. Due to the time constraints.
What features should be included in the first version of it:
Sync
Backups etc
Which software should it be linked to at first, Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc
What about providing support
Name of the new software
How do you cover the running costs
Testing
Security
etc

There would be a lot of work involved and such a short time to do it For just one person.
capbiker

Postby packrat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:28 pm

I just submitted a support ticket because my Premium account didn't renew automatically.

Also I haven't been able to get Xmarks to finish syncing for about a year. It duplicates the first ones it tries, several times, then quits. I've still got a mess to clean up, and haven't saved any new bookmarks during that time (I've used a note program instead for essentials).

I never got an email about Xmarks shuttting down. In fact, my "expiration" notice email says I need to renew my dual Premium account (LastPass and Xmarks).

Yes, it specifically mentions both services.

Now I find out they're shutting Xmarks down? And that the price has doubled for LastPass users?

Why am I getting, or not getting, emails that don't even reflect the current status of my account or of the services?

I'll certainly re-evaluate my use of LP, based on the increased cost for one person, and the lousy service I've gotten recently with both services.

Who lost their mind over there?
packrat

Postby packrat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:30 pm

I've managed to use the Xmarks tool to remove the duplicates; the ones from all those failed syncs this past year.

My bookmarks went from over 36,000 to 5,600.

What a mess.

I've also download them, and my Chrome bookmarks, and Firefox bookmarks. I'll figure out how to merge them, and then clean and reinstall to my devices.

I don't know what I'm going to use, since Eversync is $45 a year. There's no way if I'm also paying a similar price for LastPass. That would be a hundred dollars annually for one person!

I'd try to do an LP family account just to cut the cost, but my husband can't install LP on his work laptop. And we don't have children. So much for that.

I'm just about ready to pull out.
packrat

Postby puppylove » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 am

If you are like me (need cross browser syncing, but not much else) I just switched to icloud bookmarks after looking at pretty much every suggestion here and after googling around.

I have about 2000 bookmarks and they synced between FF, Chrome, IE and my iphones perfectly. A few single ones were out of order on chrome, but the folders and their contents seem to be correct everywhere so far.

Pretty painless/simile to install and use, hopefully it will continue this way; I will say it's nice to have it just auto sync without all the manual futzing around we had to do with XM for the past year
puppylove

PreviousNext

Return to Xmarks