It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Postby Bazzo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:55 am

There's no real direct replacement for Xmarks because of its unique design. However, I'm currently looking at OuterTech's LinkMan bookmark manager, the Pro version. You have to think outside the box, to see how it might replace Xmarks.

I have four computers on my home network, each with its own speciality, and each with both Firefox and Chrome installed. Myself and my wife can be using any two from these four computers simultaneously. We each have different Google IDs. As you can see from this description, Xmarks is an ideal product for keeping all the bookmarks in sync. Xmarks has received a lot of badmouthing on this and other forums, but for me Xmarks has worked very well and coped just fine for several years, and for most of that time I have been a paying subscriber of the Xmarks + LastPass combo.

I wonder whether anyone will feel confident enough to jump in with a Crowdfund bid to keep it going. Somehow I doubt it. I imagine that just keeping the application alive in the face of relentless browser and operating/interface development by the big companies is a huge commitment, never mind trying to provide enhancements and new features.

Anyway, LinkMan Pro is worth a look. If a bunch of us get together we may be able to negotiate a crossgrade-style discount.
Bazzo

Postby Droidophobe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:03 am

I looked at LinkMan but there's no Safari app for it. I recently bought an iPhone and iPad and was delighted to see an XMarks app for them, but this left me high and dry. It required multiple attempts, but I finally got iCloud for Windows to download and install properly on all my Windows devices, spent a few minutes configuring it, and voila! All my hundreds of bookmarks automatically transferred from my PC's to the phone and iPad, properly sorted into their folders. I've only been using it for 2 days, but it's seems like the easiest functional solution for anyone who also uses Apple devices, and it doesn't require giving up all your browsing information to yet another third party. I tried EverSync but its folder system was a hot mess for anything with a small screen.
Droidophobe

Postby Droidophobe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:08 am

P.S. I would also recommend cleaning up your bookmarks on the XMarks website then exporting them all to an html file so you don't lose them if XMarks crashes because you know they won't take time to fix it.
Droidophobe

Postby Bazzo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:26 am

Good advice, thanks.
Bazzo

Postby cuppettcj » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:48 pm

Bazzo Wrote:There's no real direct replacement for Xmarks because of its unique design. However, I'm currently looking at OuterTech's LinkMan bookmark manager, the Pro version. You have to think outside the box, to see how it might replace Xmarks.
Anyway, LinkMan Pro is worth a look. If a bunch of us get together we may be able to negotiate a crossgrade-style discount.

Thanks for the recommendation! I already use Clipboard History from Outertech and love their software in general. I like that they have an add-on for SeaMonkey also, which is something EverSync did not offer. I think I will try their 30-day trial version out for awhile and then pay for Pro if it suits my needs. They also offer a free "Lite" version, but it only syncs between browsers on the same computer so it would defeat the main purpose that I used XMark for.

EDIT: One thing that seems to be missing with using Linkman as a bookmark solution is a mobile option. Bazzo, can you comment on how you access Linkman bookmarks via your phone or tablet?
cuppettcj

Postby xheralt532 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:03 pm

I'll miss Xmarks. I started using it when it was strictly a Firefox extension, Foxmarks. The main reason I ended up with LastPass as my cloud password service was because they acquired Xmarks and took over that aspect of the extension. And they did well enough all these years to keep me, and earn my recommendations on various social medias.

With the multibrowser, multiOS, taskbar-button-dropdown-failing-to-appear bug, LastPass is on increasingly thin ice with me. The fact that they were multibrowser and OS-agnostic is one of the things I loved about Xmarks/LP in the first place. Fix your shiz, people! Especially now that you only have one product to concentrate on!
xheralt532

Postby maverick74 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Created an account just to mention a great ALTERNATIVE:

Floccus ( https://github.com/marcelklehr/floccus )

I believe it's the best alternative we all have...
maverick74

Postby Droidophobe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Floccus doesn't seem to have mobile apps for Android or Safari either.
Droidophobe

Postby cuppettcj » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:12 pm

xheralt532 Wrote:I'll miss Xmarks. I started using it when it was strictly a Firefox extension, Foxmarks. The main reason I ended up with LastPass as my cloud password service was because they acquired Xmarks and took over that aspect of the extension. And they did well enough all these years to keep me, and earn my recommendations on various social medias.

With the multibrowser, multiOS, taskbar-button-dropdown-failing-to-appear bug, LastPass is on increasingly thin ice with me. The fact that they were multibrowser and OS-agnostic is one of the things I loved about Xmarks/LP in the first place. Fix your shiz, people! Especially now that you only have one product to concentrate on!

Your story is very similar to mine. I started using XMarks before I even knew what LastPass was. I went through the whole announcement that XMarks would shut down 7 years ago, started researching alternatives, then was grateful when LastPass stepped in and purchased XMarks to keep it alive. I was so grateful that I have also been a paying subscriber to LastPass + XMarks premium service for the past 7 years.

Back then both browser add-ons worked really well, at least in Firefox / SeaMonkey. But ever since Firefox started migrating to WebExtensions I have noticed that each has gotten much worse. XMarks regularly screws up my bookmarks, forcing me to go back and restore a past set and then initiate a download on all of my browsers on all of my machines. And LastPass no longer autofills most of my login pages, and to make matters worse no longer copies my passwords to clipboard when I right click on a text input field like it used to.

Now that I am forced to consider alternatives to XMarks, I may also consider exploring alternatives to LastPass that can maybe work better.
cuppettcj

Crappy Free service now that I let Premium expire

Postby keithmyers » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:45 pm

Have to believe that LastPass is deliberately giving crappy service now that I let my Premium subscription expire because of the extortionate doubling of my Premium subscription price.

All I get is a connection error message each time I visit a page that should enable my site credentials. The free service that I was downgraded to never works. I get a popup each day saying my Premium service is about to expire. It has expired on choice by me. I will not renew at $42/year.

And now you have broken a promise to continue support for Xmarks. I was paying for Premium service for both LastPass and Xmarks. This is from your Help FAQ.
How does the LogMeIn acquisition affect Xmarks?

We will continue to support Xmarks. There is no change in your status as a free or Premium user of Xmarks.

This is the email I received on March 30.

Xmarks update
On May 1, 2018, we will be shutting down Xmarks. Your account will remain active until then, including the syncing of your bookmarks. After that date, your bookmarks should remain in any previously accessed browser, but they will no longer sync and your account will be deactivated.

At LastPass, we’ve staked our claim in password management, and providing our community with a high level of password security. After careful consideration and evaluation, we have decided to discontinue the Xmarks service so that we can continue to focus on offering the best possible password vaulting to our community.

On behalf of the entire LastPass and Xmarks team, we wanted to thank you for your support over the years.

Ever since LastPass was bought by LogMein, the support has gone to $hit. The product is not even worth it Freemium price.
keithmyers

PreviousNext

Return to Xmarks