It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: azitnay, admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Postby utytfgjkhgkig98500 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:30 am

angelthaliel Wrote:I just switched to eversync (fvd synchronizer), and it offers everything xmarks has(used to have)

Hey, thanks for that recommendation! Somehow I never found Eversync when looking for an alternative to Xmarks. I'll definitely check it out. I doff my cap to you, angelthaliel!
utytfgjkhgkig98500

Closing down Xmarks

Postby ri756 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks a bunch lastpass - why did you take it over if you were only going to close it down? Not happy.
ri756

Re: Closing down Xmarks

Postby Droidophobe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:17 pm

I too am very disappointed in the abandonment of XMarks, whose existence was the reason I subscribed to LastPass, a move that I'll have to rethink. Your decision process is elusive...not only does XMarks fill a niche for which there is no other comparable service, but you're going to lose a lot of LastPass customers as well. Those sounds you hear are not only your customers complaining, but your revenue streams flowing into another company's accounts.
Droidophobe

Postby Droidophobe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:20 pm

Anybody got any recommendations for an alternative that also works with iOS? Eversync does not per its reviews, and YMarks doesn't either. Is iCloud the only option?
Droidophobe

Postby wanxpy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:27 pm

Even if it was already abandoned for some time, it was still nearly essential software for internet users, with no real alternative. It could be a very imported product.
wanxpy

Postby Droidophobe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:04 pm

Nice to see the moderators took my and other's comments to the company out of the feedback forum and added them to this thread instead. Bravo for sticking your head in the sand, Last Pass.
Droidophobe

Postby stonebridge » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:53 pm

Guys, i found an alternative today when i searched around and can confirm that it works well. This is an addon for the Firefox & Chrome browsers, i even think there`s an addon for IE as well. The addon is named "icloud bookmarks" and the best part is that the bookmarks will stay in sync even with Safari on iOS. This is exactly what i`ve been looking for and hoping for that Xmarks would add but now there is already a working tool. I recommend everyone to check this addon out and try it yourself.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/icloud-bookmarks/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-bookmarks/fkepacicchenbjecpbpbclokcabebhah
stonebridge

Postby cuppettcj » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:13 pm

ri756 Wrote:Thanks a bunch lastpass - why did you take it over if you were only going to close it down? Not happy.

I just want to point out that LastPass bought XMarks back in late 2010 when it looked like XMarks was going to shut down back then. They kept it alive for another 7 years, so I am grateful for that. I also think that this decision was made not by LastPass itself but by LogMeIn, which has a history of heavily monetizing their products and they probably felt that XMarks just was not that profitable if at all. LogMeIn is a business so I get it. It's just sad that they couldn't find a good way to monetize Xmarks. I had hoped that by being a paying customer that I could help keep it alive, but I guess there weren't enough people like me to make it worth their while.

I think I will give EverSync a try and see how that goes.
cuppettcj

Postby cuppettcj » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:29 pm

Here's an article from Ghacks.net that discusses XMarks closing down and lists some alternatives. Most of the alternatives have already been discussed here.
cuppettcj

Postby markorama » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 am

I used XMarks for a time - but I found a great alternative: https://www.bookmarkninja.com that is fully supported by a single developer Jozef Torsan, who is super dedicated and responsive. I have no commercial or personal relationship to him. I just love the product and I am a bookmark bibliophile who manages over 3000 bookmarks using his app. Hope that is somewhat helpful.
markorama

PreviousNext

Return to Xmarks