It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: azitnay, admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Postby BuhBye » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Given unresponsiveness of Xmarks involving Syncing problem, it appears that LogMeIn, the parent company of LastPass and Xmarks, has had plan in works to drop Xmarks for at least a couple of months.

Which leads to question: How long before LastPass is dropped too?
BuhBye

Postby joebogey » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:39 pm

So first LastPass raises the price for users of both services and then kills off Xmarks. I will now start to consider other password managers as this was enough of a value add that the price increase was acceptable.
joebogey

Postby serge879 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:07 am

A very bad news. Alternative products are either not integrated in browser's bookmark manager or, if it is, it doesn't cover IE which some of us are sadly required to use at work. I definitely don't want to go back to manually sync my bookmarks, so please can you make it open source?
serge879

Postby professorx » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:01 am

A major disappointment. The honorable thing to do would be to opensource the project at least. I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers and donations to keep hosting an instance or two.
professorx

Postby nemesis666first788 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:19 am

Postby Yuyox » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Would it be possible to make it open source?

Hey hey xD it's would be fun, but exept if you ask the source code to XMarks (LastPass), you must recreate it "yourself", personnaly, I dont have any skill in this, I'm System Engineer, but nothing to do with developement xD .

Anyone brave for this task :D ?
nemesis666first788

Postby angelthaliel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:50 am

I just switched to eversync (fvd synchronizer), and it offers everything xmarks has(used to have)
angelthaliel

Postby phantasia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:56 am

This is really a shame...
There is nothing at the moment that can do what Xmarks does. Would you reconsider the decision?
If not i see myself dumping lastpass as well and move over to something else. For Lastpass there are a lot of alternatives.

But for Xmarks, I've been using this since it was Foxmarks... Even if you don't reconsider the decision, please release it under open source and let someone else continue this. The whole internet needs a good bookmark sync application.
phantasia

Postby acf194267 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:49 am

Does anyone know if we will be able to use Xmarks with our own server after the 'shutdown'? I put shutdown in quotes because it occurs to me that if one sets up their own server [say, on a FreeNAS box], then would it really be shutdown? Like others I am sad to see a once highly useful product go away, but must admit that I have spent the last year fighting duplicate bookmarks, spending hours and hours trying to straighten them out.

If I could host my own bookmarks, that would be great.
acf194267

Postby stevewilliams357 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:00 am

I also started back in 2008 on Foxmarks and in 2010 pledged to keep Xmarks alive. That seems like a different world now.
I can't say I was surprised as the performance of XMarks has been so terrible in recent months. It's sad when a service like this is killed off but nothing stays the same for ever.
Having said that, I had not noticed that LogMeIn is involved here and of course killed off the free version of LogMeIn to focus on its paying customers. I wonder how long the free version of LastPass will be available? I expect the focus has moved to Business and Enterprise levels.
My Premium subscription expires in April so I will be looking at the alternatives like everyone else. Currently I don't know which way I will go.
stevewilliams357

Postby wheatism630 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:48 am

Anyone tried "ymarks"?
Open source and self hosted, and binaries available...https://www.ymarks.org/
wheatism630

PreviousNext

Return to Xmarks