It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Postby varter » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:57 pm

I'm so upset about the email I got on this today. I mean... it has literally crushed my day. I am a software architect / technical manager and I use five different browsers every single day. Manually syncing is going to be so painful and take a crap-ton of my time as I add and remove test sites and stuff all the time. This is terrible new. I agree with the previous poster that said, just make it open source or sell it. I mean you guys just bought it! Come on. ~ A Sad Panda
varter

Postby nemesis666first788 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Any idea which soft I can use to replace it ? My company dont allow using the sync with chrome, this annouce completly blow my mind :'( !
nemesis666first788

Postby John M65 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:06 pm

What are the replacement options for XMarks. I am using Chrome and EDGE which has some limitations to say the least.
John M65

Re: Support for Xmarks is ending on May 1, 2018

Postby cuppettcj » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:06 pm

benking Wrote:I was a long time user of Xmarks but moved over to Bookmark OS (https://bookmarkos.com) some time ago and have been really happy with it. It doesn't have sync but it is a website so it works cross-browser including mobile devices. It is designed to allow you to leverage the intuitiveness and power of a GUI (like Mac or Windows) for your bookmarks and it works super well!

Bookmark OS looked intriguing to me at first, but it appears that they no longer offer a free version for new users. I'm not against paying for a service that I find useful, but with XMarks I got familiar with the functionality while it was free and then paid to continue using it after they introduced the Android app. I'm not sure I want to start paying for a new service before I decide that it's going to be my solution for bookmarking.
cuppettcj

Re: Support for Xmarks is ending on May 1, 2018

Postby varter » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:21 pm

cuppettcj Wrote:
benking Wrote:I was a long time user of Xmarks but moved over to Bookmark OS (https://bookmarkos.com) some time ago and have been really happy with it. It doesn't have sync but it is a website so it works cross-browser including mobile devices. It is designed to allow you to leverage the intuitiveness and power of a GUI (like Mac or Windows) for your bookmarks and it works super well!

I'm trying Bookmark OS. But it doesn't really sync the browser bookmark toolbars. I use those a ton jumping between work tools day in and day out. But I guess it is better than nothing. ~ Vince
varter

Postby utytfgjkhgkig98500 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Really sad about this. I've paid $20 per year since 2010 for the LastPass Premium & Xmarks Premium combo bundle. Xmarks was the main reason I made that yearly purchase.

I don't think there are any decent options to replace Xmarks. Cross-browser sync'ing was incredible (until they didn't spend the hour or so it would have taken to make the FF plugin compatible with FF Quantum). And I loved being able to restore or view all my bookmark backup sets going back to 2010.

Here's hoping another company will come to Xmark's rescue. If not, RIP Xmarks, I'll miss you always.
utytfgjkhgkig98500

Postby Yuyox » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 pm

It seems like nobody was able to find a replacement for this app and everything it provides, that tells me that there are a lot of active users out there.

Would it be possible to make it open source?
Yuyox

Postby maxwelloau835 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:08 pm

another sad day.
I hate logmein who can take decent operating software with actually usable features and run it into the ground.
Its clear that logmein wasnt going to spent a dime on getting things working so its being stoned to death!
Also the way its being done. your fired! end of story!. Yes it does sound like an April 1 joke.

Why not maintain till end of financial year, then close off sync, then 3 months later close accounts and burn all records and backups?

There appears to be NO other service able to be an alternative or similar usability function. I have looked at many and just despair!
Woe is me.
RIP Xmarks.
maxwelloau835

Postby stonebridge » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:32 pm

Can`t say i am surprised, there has been almost no news or updates for a loooong time now so i felt something was coming. And now we know. It`s a shame really, why is it so difficult to make a bookmarks syncing tool that works with most common browsers? Is it because they (xmarks devs) don`t have the knowledge to make the tool or is it beacuse they don`t think they can make money out of it?
I seriously doubt option 1 so i guess it comes down to them not seeing a big enough demand for a tool like this and thus, no money to be made.

But it`s also interesting why there`s no other good alternatives to Xmarks. Releasing the code as open source would be good and hopefully someone else can make an even better tool.

A sad day for sure.
stonebridge

Postby ataripower » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Well it's goodbye to Lastpass from me. Can't justify renewing my subscription now. Poor decision by them.
ataripower

PreviousNext

Return to Xmarks