It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Support for Xmarks is ending on May 1, 2018

Postby dragonbone » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 pm

[quote="cuppettcj"] I think this has more to do with LastPass abandoning a product that wasn't making them any / enough money to even bother with it.

I'm furious about this. Xmarks has become pretty much unusable in any case - with Firefox I now keep getting sync errors. Apart from that, my account was a Premium Combo LastPass + Xmarks with annual auto-renewal. On March 30th they deducted $38 for the next year (last year it was only $24), and two days later they announced that support is ending for Xmarks in a month's time. So they have charged me nearly twice the fee and I only get one month of use???
Needless to say the auto-renewal has now been cancelled, and if the fee next time is $38 then they can whistle for it. They didn't bother to tell me in advance that the fee was going up. I'm sticking with LastPass for now, because it is excellent - it is no longer reliable in Firefox but works like a dream in Opera. But I am NOT a happy bunny.
dragonbone

Re: It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Postby wa8yxm992 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Have not used X-Marks for some time. Switched from a Doze box with Chrome and Firefox (Dropped it too bloated) Edge adn MISE to a pair of HP Chromebooks. they back up bookmerks on Google servers adn for the odd one I only access every 2 or 3 years (with passwords) Lastpass remembers those.

And works cross platform even on my phone and 'droid tablet (The premimum version that is).

Just so you know... Kind of liking lastpass..
wa8yxm992

Re: Support for Xmarks is ending on May 1, 2018

Postby AdequateSamaritan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:18 pm

ChodaBoyUSA Wrote:I just received the following e-mail from Xmarks. It is sad to see such a formerly great service being abandoned. I know the forced switch to Web Service API only support for Firefox has ruined some really great add-ons. I wonder if that had anything to do with the decision to just give up on Xmarks altogether.

Xmarks update
On May 1, 2018, we will be shutting down Xmarks. Your account will remain active until then. After this date, your bookmarks should remain available in any previously accessed browser, but they will no longer sync and your Xmarks account will be deactivated. There will be no impact to your LastPass Premium account. In addition, any remaining balance previously paid towards Xmarks will be applied as a credit towards your LastPass Premium account.

At LastPass, we’ve staked our claim in password management, and providing our community with a high level of password security. After careful consideration and evaluation, we have decided to discontinue the Xmarks solution so that we can continue to focus on offering the best possible password vaulting to our community.

On behalf of the entire LastPass and Xmarks team, we wanted to thank you for your support over the years. If you have any questions about your account or LastPass credit, please do not hesitate to reach out to https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php.

Hey, at least you got an email. I didn't even get that. I stumbled onto the message when my computer crashed, I rebuilt it, I downloaded my web browser and I went to download my bookmarks from Xmarks. And I've been an Xmarks paying customer for TEN YEARS. And a LastPass paying customer for four.
AdequateSamaritan

Postby GridAuth » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Any chance we can get XMarks open sourced? I don't want to see this software die on the vine.
GridAuth

Postby jboyer853 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:50 am

I also have been a xmarks user since the beginning. I have tried a bunch of options now and settled on bookmacster from sheep systems. Jerry the developer has been very helpful and fast to respond to my questions. This is a mac tool only though but is working great for me syncing 3 browsers between to macs and actually works with icloud bookmark sync so now my IOS devices actually have bookmarks for a change. For my windows vms and work machine I am using the icloud bookmarks plugin.

I have cancelled my renewal also and am migrating to "1" password solution that offers much more than lastpass as well.
jboyer853

Postby relay12 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:13 am

I too am very disappointed in the shutting down the server for XMarks syncing. The honorable thing to do would have been open source sufficiently that I could have run a copy on a cloud service provider for my own private use since they no longer give a #!@% about xmarks. I expected better from the developers of lastpass.com but more than likely logmein decided to #!@% over xmarks product - what's next will screw up lastpass at some future point in time or add some bloatware / adware. Another big company ruining something that was decent product.

Is xmarks for sale?
relay12

Postby Garfiled » Wed May 02, 2018 7:36 am

The idiots at logmein ruined the best bookmarks service on the market. Without any explanation they just closed it.
If they wanted money then the solution would have been simple: make premium usage mandatory for all users: 20$/year

At least put the software on the market, sell it to someone who is willing to work develop it further. Why renew the domain till 2022 if you close the service?
Garfiled

Postby exekutive368 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:18 pm

puppylove Wrote:I just switched to icloud bookmarks... I have about 2000 bookmarks and they synced between FF, Chrome, IE ...t the folders and their contents seem to be correct everywhere so far.

How do you sync your Firefox bookmarks to iCloud?
exekutive368

Postby puppylove » Thu May 03, 2018 2:32 pm

exekutive368 Wrote:
puppylove Wrote:I just switched to icloud bookmarks... I have about 2000 bookmarks and they synced between FF, Chrome, IE ...t the folders and their contents seem to be correct everywhere so far.

How do you sync your Firefox bookmarks to iCloud?

This should help, the FF section is further down. I have it on the 3 browsers plus iphone and so far it's been excellent

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203519
puppylove

Postby exekutive368 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:02 pm

puppylove Wrote:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203519

I see instructions for Firefox on Windows. But it looks like they only support Safari on Mac so that's out.
exekutive368

PreviousNext

Return to Xmarks