Xmarks and Firefox 58.0

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Xmarks and Firefox 58.0

Postby randix » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Color me totally confused. Is there or is there not, an Xmarks add-on that is available for download, that actually works for Firefox 58.0? Could someone sorta official respond pleeze?
randix

Re: Xmarks and Firefox 58.0

Postby blue453 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:54 pm

The December latest version of xmarks 4.5.0.8 "works" but not always i.e. sync error. I'm guessing they are tinkering with something on their end allowing that version to work without a new addon version. I could be wrong but my guess.
blue453

Postby dhnyny » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:02 am

From my experience, Xmarks doesn't work properly with Firefox 58 and, judging from the inattention from Lastpass, my hunch is that it never will.
dhnyny

Postby franzhall » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:28 pm

I have to insert the login data each time I start Firefox.
That is not acceptable, therefore I don't use xmarks anymore in Firefox.

In google-chrome-browser the xmarks addon works perfectly.
franzhall

Postby franzhall » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Well, somebody asked in another thread about an alternative to the non-functional xmarks addon.
I found one.
It is EverSync and it syncs bookmarks between Firefox and Chrome without bugs.
franzhall

Postby dhnyny » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:33 pm

For those of you still trying to get Xmarks to work with Firefox 58, I may have found a solution. I got the notion that the extension itself might not be the only problem. The way Xmarks works is that it keeps two things in sync: the bookmarks file(s) for your application(s) (on your computer) and a record of your bookmarks on its servers (i.e., "in the cloud"). So what if the problem isn't (or isn't only) that the extension can't manage the syncing? What if the record on the Xmarks servers is corrupt? After all, repeated errors like duplicating bookmarks and folders or failing to complete syncs does sound like the kind of thing that could either be caused by a corrupt file or could cause a file to become corrupt.

So what I did was to log out of Xmarks (both the extension and xmarks.com) and then create a brand new Xmarks account, thereby getting a completely new, empty, certainly not corrupt file on the server. Then I signed in and the extension easily synced my Firefox bookmarks with the server. Now I have a full, correct set of my bookmarks in both locations. And, so far, it seems to be working just fine. And what's nice is that creating a new Xmarks account left my old Xmarks account intact, so if at any point I need access to the version of my bookmarks that is sitting in my old account, it's there for me.

You might want to give this a try but if you do, remember that what I did required me to have a full, accurate set of my bookmarks in Firefox that the server extension could copy into the new account on the server. In other words, if your local bookmarks are messed up but the bookmarks on the server are not, then what I tried will not help you.

One more thought: If you use Xmarks with any other browsers in addition to Firefox, and you do not have problems with syncing those browsers, or if you have a good local copy of your bookmarks in Google Chrome, let's say, but not in Firefox, then you could try implementing my new-account strategy using your other browser first. So if your Chrome bookmarks are fine but your Firefox bookmarks are bad, you'd sign out everywhere, then create a new Xmarks account in Chrome and get it synced up with the server. Then, to make sure your Firefox bookmarks file is not corrupt in any way you'd create a new Firefox profile, then install Xmarks, sign into the new account (which now has your Chrome bookmarks) and sync.

I have no idea whether I've found the solution for myself or for you. All I know for sure is that everything seems to be working properly now. Time will tell whether it's just an illusion.
dhnyny

Postby franzhall » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Your solution is very good, but unfortunately it doesn't help me.
My main problem with xmarks in FF58 is the login.
Each time I close FF and restart it, the username and password is gone and xmarks is not capable to sync.
Therefore I have to insert the username and password.
It is a horror-trip and nobody has helped me.
Nobody ever suggested a solution to this problem.

Therefore I will now use EverSync because it just works and does not forget my username und password when I restart FF.
franzhall

Return to Xmarks