Lets be honest. XMarks is abandoned.

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Lets be honest. XMarks is abandoned.

Postby reaver56 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:21 pm

I'm having the issue with duplicates as well

I usually use Chrome
Firefox is used more infrequently.

Whenever i start Firefox and sync Xmarks, I see the bookmarks synced twice like below
synchronization complete.
bookmarks: success
tabs: disabled
bookmarks: success

This causes new bookmarks to be imported twice. Usually this is fixed with "Download Bookmarks" but its really annoying that this still hasn't been fixed

Any subsequent sync works fine as long as Firefox is not restarted
reaver56

Postby stonebridge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:55 am

Is there any good working alternative to Xmarks? I am getting sick & tired lately with all the popups and sync errors in Firefox browser. I need to try something else but i am not sure where to look.
Any ideas?
stonebridge

Postby Trice » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:38 pm

stonebridge Wrote:Is there any good working alternative to Xmarks? I am getting sick & tired lately with all the popups and sync errors in Firefox browser. I need to try something else but i am not sure where to look.
Any ideas?

I'd be curious for this too. I just want something that syncs across browsers/devices fairly easily and does its job without hassling me. I have 3500+ bookmarks so ease of use is pretty important...I'm in and out of them quite a bit, saving new ones, discarding old ones, etc.
Trice

Postby randix » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 pm

It's hard to avoid the obvious, the powers that be have apparently given zippo guidance of a "fix" or any confidence that a "fix" is forthcoming, so anyone using xmarks on Firefox or hope to in the future, might as well look for an acorn containing a diamond.

It still works on Chrome, but not a chance in the world I'm goin' repeat that disaster of installing it on Firefox and having to spend the hours to repair the damage.

It must be a pretty bad situation if the powers that be have apparently thrown in the towel.
randix

Postby brownslink » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:48 pm

There is no reason to stop using Firefox. Just switch to Firefox ESR. As far as Xmarks is concerned, I was a devoted user many years and I gave up and went to Firefox sync. It too has issues but I think they are working on them.
brownslink

Postby dhnyny » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am

I've used it since the Delicious days. I don't think I had any significant problems until fall of 2017 but syncing became so unreliable on Firefox this month that I've finally stopped using it altogether. I'm surprised it's so hard to maintain a service that does something fairly simple and I'm surprised there don't seem to be any good alternatives.
dhnyny

Postby heidion583 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:02 pm

And again I like to add something to this malaise....
This morning I checked to see how my Xmarks were doing(through the Dolphin Xmarks extension) to find I had all of a sudden 17000 Bookmarks. :o It hasn't been so bad yet. Had double bookmarks& folders already though nothing like this.
I wish Xmarks would publicly state here in the forum what they intend to do with the Bookmarks. I could then wait for fixes or otherwise move on.

Thanks and best wishes from a paid subscriber.
heidion583

Postby daxwhitehouse809 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:28 pm

I agree ... It was such a great product, but LastPass has abandoned it. I was excited when they bought it, but nothing has happened.

I constantly have corruption issue and lose bookmarks. The restore on the website works for a day, but never restores completely. It is unacceptable. I wish they would work on it rather than abandon it.
daxwhitehouse809

Postby colemak » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:29 pm

It is such a shame. I'm surprised nobody has developed a way to use your Firefox account with Chrome/Chromium (or vice versa with a Google account). Those are the two browsers I need.
colemak

Postby sonicfly » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Same here, long time user, but just so disappointed now.
sonicfly

PreviousNext

Return to Xmarks