Where are my Tags???

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: azitnay, admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Where are my Tags???

Postby generalsavage » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Hello,
I just acquired a new computer, put Xmarks on Firefox ESR 52.4, and variously synchronized and downloaded My Xmarks. (Also, because the latest Xmarks is broken on FF ESR 52, I had to us version 4.5.0.4)

The bookmark tags did not sync or download, even though they are in the Details view of my.xmarks.com.

Please, oh please tell me how to get the tags from my old computer into the new one!

Thank you in advance
generalsavage

Re: Where are my Tags???

Postby ordnung » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:41 am

I have the same problem, but it only looks like it is on my FF56 on Windows 10. My FF56 on linux seem to work. Have not checked more then that I have tags on that machine.

At first when xmarks was upgraded to 4.5.0.4 my bookmarks got very bad. But after restoring an older backup it worked better. But not tag to my WIndows 10 machine.
ordnung

Postby generalsavage » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:49 am

I figured out why the tags were missing- I neglected to check, Enable Site Tags and Ratings, in the set up wizard on the new computer.
generalsavage

Postby stroke » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:20 am

Hi, I can't find the option for "Enable Site Tags and Ratings" in settings or wizard anymore on xmarks 4.5.0.4. Is still an available feature?
stroke

Postby generalsavage » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:38 pm

open My Xmarks Seettings; It's on the the Sync tab.
generalsavage

Postby stroke » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:21 pm

generalsavage Wrote:open My Xmarks Seettings; It's on the the Sync tab.

Not anymore. I've 2 options: Synchronization Types (Bookmarks & open tabs) and Synchronization Options (Enable Automatic Synchronization).
stroke

Postby generalsavage » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 am

I failed to mention that I went back to version 4.4.1 because of all the issues with 4.5.0.

Maybe they dropped tags support in the latest version; I just noticed this statement in the release notes:
Xmarks for Firefox now uses the WebExtensions API for compatibility with Firefox 57+. Some features that relied on legacy Firefox APIs are no longer available in this version.

I'm still on Firefox ESR 52.4, and 4.4.1 is fine for me.
generalsavage

Postby ordnung » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Why does they not list what is working or not?? Should be very easy, since it is not like it is 100 features.

I will try do some tests on my FF56/xmarks 4.5 on linux. Because tags are still there. But I have not tested if it really syncs in between.
ordnung

Postby ordnung » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:49 pm

ordnung Wrote:Why does they not list what is working or not?? Should be very easy, since it is not like it is 100 features.

I will try do some tests on my FF56/xmarks 4.5 on linux. Because tags are still there. But I have not tested if it really syncs in between.

Instead of testing I looked at WebExtension API which will be the only supported plugin API in FF from version 57. Tags are note supported. But there are some noise in the community that this is a feature that make them use FF, even if Mozilla seem to not think tags are important. So in response to some bug report about this somebody is writing some code for FF to show that this is important. Hopefully this will make it into FF fast, and that xmarks implements it really fast. At the moment I stopped using bookmarks cause this is not working. And it has limit my normal use of FF. In worst case I will downgrade FF and use an older version of xmarks until this is solved.

Note: since xmarks corrupted my bookmarks both on server an the computer I restored a backup at xmarks, but of course without tags. I have not managed to export from xmarks with tags to somehow import into FF.
ordnung

Postby stroke » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:55 pm

I 've been using FF for more than a decade, and one of the things I use/love the most is the awesome bar and bookmarks tagging. I've lost all my bookmarks tags. What next FF?
stroke

Next

Return to Xmarks