Can't access old bookmark lists?

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Can't access old bookmark lists?

Postby MysticCobra » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:01 pm

A few weeks ago, all the bookmarks disappeared from all my computers and browsers. The bookmarks bar is still intact, and that has most of my frequently-used sites, so I've been able to get by.

I have tried several times to go to the Xmarks website and restore an old version of my bookmarks, so that I can resync/rebuild my bookmarks. To date, I have been unsuccessful.

When I tried multiple times several days/weeks ago, I could "View" older bookmarks sets and they looked good, but when I tried to "Restore", the process did not complete properly and so I could never complete the resync with my Xmarks clients.

I tried again earlier today, and I couldn't even get my list of older bookmarks to come up. I think that was related to the server issues that were affecting almost everyone. Trying again now, I can see the list of my archived bookmark files, but when I try to choose one to "View", I get a malformed error message starting with:

({"message":"Sync error: {'status': 404, 'message': 'Unable to retrieve user', ...

I'm getting very frustrated. It's been weeks since I've had access to my full bookmarks set, and I'm tired of it. Am I doing something wrong, or has there been a persistent issue with Xmarks servers that I just need to be patient about?
MysticCobra

Re: Can't access old bookmark lists?

Postby lafritz213 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:23 pm

In the past week or so, I was able to open the explorer window for previous bookmark sets several times and successfully restored a previous set 2 or 3 times when trying to clear the duplication of bookmarks issue, using both Chrome (61.0) and Firefox (56.0.2). However, today in Chrome I get an "unknown sync error" every time I try to simply explore the old bookmark sets, even after reloading my bookmarks page. Just one more problem with Xmarks in a growing list of them.
lafritz213

Postby MysticCobra » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:43 pm

OK, I've seen that "Unknown sync error" today, too. Maybe I've just won the lottery, and all the times I tried to do this recently have been while the Xmarks servers were on the fritz for some reason. I'll keep trying.

Thanks for your response!
MysticCobra

Postby younkint983 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Same issue here as original post. Looks as though Xmarks has a boatload of problems. I'm running Xmarks 4.5.0.4 and to say it's not working is putting it quite mildly.

I was seriously considering LastPass as my family's password manager, but after the debacle with Xmarks in the last few months I think that I need to reconsider. There's been no communication from the company, no relief from lost and/or mismanaged bookmarks and little - if any - progress.

Certainly some of the blame must be thrown at Mozilla's feet, as they seem to be the new gold standard in regard to shooting themselves in the feet. That is, Mozilla Firefox is willingly throwing away the very feature that made it so desirable -- a multitude of extensions to make the browser do what the user wants. Personally, I am exploring other options in browsers. I don't want to go, but I am being forced to go elsewhere.
younkint983

Postby MysticCobra » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:38 pm

For what it's worth, I'm a long-time LastPass user and have had not problems with that app. If you're considering walking away from LastPass as a way to express your displeasure with Xmarks, that's understandable, but if instead you're concerned that Xmarks' flakiness is a reflection of the stability (or lack thereof) of the LastPass app, my years of experience says that LP is solid and unaffected by the Xmarks turmoil.
MysticCobra

Postby younkint983 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:20 pm

MysticCobra Wrote:For what it's worth, I'm a long-time LastPass user and have had not problems with that app. If you're considering walking away from LastPass as a way to express your displeasure with Xmarks, that's understandable, but if instead you're concerned that Xmarks' flakiness is a reflection of the stability (or lack thereof) of the LastPass app, my years of experience says that LP is solid and unaffected by the Xmarks turmoil.

Thing is, MysticCobra, if the company doesn't give a flip about paying Xmarks customers (and from their actions, or non-actions, in the past few months) it appears they actually do not care, then one must assume the same indifferent attitude carries through to the LastPass password manager.

Throughout this whole Xmarks mess I have not seen even one communication from the company. Not one. We are all here begging for information ... and zilch. Nothing. The entire Xmarks effort has the look and feel of gutted company, whittled down to one guy in India working part-time from the back of a garage. I've certainly seen nothing to indicate otherwise.
younkint983

Postby MysticCobra » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:34 pm

I understand, and I'm not trying to defend them. I'm both an Xmarks and LP paying customer; I'm very happy with LP, and frustrated with Xmarks. Not trying to influence you one way or the other, just sharing my experience.
MysticCobra

Postby younkint983 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:42 pm

MysticCobra Wrote:I understand, and I'm not trying to defend them. I'm both an Xmarks and LP paying customer; I'm very happy with LP, and frustrated with Xmarks. Not trying to influence you one way or the other, just sharing my experience.

Oh, my intention is not to put any blame of any sort on you, MysticCobra. Sorry if my post read that way.

I also am a paying customer - and a rather unhappy one, I might add. I would imagine quite a few of us are well beyond irritated at this point.

This whole recent Xmarks controversy is pretty much a textbook example of how NOT to run a business. Perhaps the most blatant example of poor business practices seen here lately is the total absence of help from LastPass/Xmarks ... not even a "Sorry, we're working on it." Totally unacceptable. I had been seriously considering using the LastPass password manager, but when I consider the accountability and professionalism required by a company that I entrust to safeguard my data, I have to say that I've put the brakes on that move. One must have a degree of faith in a business that could potentially wreak havoc on my secure data. I'm not exactly confident in LastPass right now.
younkint983

Postby MysticCobra » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:55 pm

At long last, today I was able to restore my bookmarks from a backup made several weeks ago, so I'm finally back in business. Way harder than it had to be, but eventually got it worked out.
MysticCobra

Return to Xmarks