Hey LastPass Xmarks is making you look bad

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Hey LastPass Xmarks is making you look bad

Postby k21 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:22 am

Hey LastPass ... what's going on with Xmarks? Since they advertise as a "LastPass company" and have chosen not to respond to anything about the current catastrophe I am now holding YOU responsible. I am a paying customer for both services --- although if something is not done (or at least a statement of what is happening) soon I will not be for much longer. I can not even get to the premium support page for Xmarks! Either fix it, say it's broke, or give us our money back. Their (now yours by proxy) lack of professionalism makes me wonder what the long term outlook for both services is going to look like.............
k21

Re: Hey LastPass Xmarks is making you look bad

Postby DomenicR » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:59 pm

I have to agree. I've been a paying premium member for both services for years. Had my doubts when logmein took over, but decided to see how they would do. So far, not good. I had this exact sync error and no bookmark showing up online back on 6/27. I work in IT and know stuff happens. but they just don't seem to have the capability of doing the right think and letting us know by posting something on their site and the forums letting us know what is going on.
DomenicR

Postby HereToday » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Have to agree with previous posts. I am also a paying member for both Xmarks and LastPass and very annoyed by lack of support on Xmarks and continual failure to fix the problems. AFAIK I haven't lost bookmarks yet but the continual requests to re-login and failure to retain sync settings is annoying, dialog boxes that don't work and now today's failure to sync at all. If it has to do with the version of Firefox then fix it. If it has to do with bad interaction with other plugins then engage with the community to figure out what the problems are and fix it/make recommendations. Doing nothing to improve and/or fix is a very bad signal to customers, particularly for a public quoted company. I've seen better support/engagement from one-man software developers.

The lack of prompt fix on Xmarks gives me pause regarding continual use of LastPass, especially given the recent price increase for the latter. You are losing my confidence!
HereToday

Postby k21 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:55 pm

For what it's worth, I finally got mine working again (with no help from Xmarks or Lastpass thank you very much). Not sure how long it will last but here's what I did......

From within Firefox I could not even see my bookmarks through the my.xmarks.com interface. Nada, zilch, nothing. Wouldn't even pull up the old bookmarks. Always got a sync error or some other various HTTP error code. Uninstalled Xmarks and restarted Firefox -- still nothing. Tried to reinstall Xmarks and succeeded in downloading but not installing. (?????). Then on a whim I did the unthinkable, I opened IE (yes that IE) and went to my.xmarks.com and lo and behold everything was there! Reopened Firefox, re-downloaded Xmarks and installed with success this time. Selected download and overwrite existing bookmarks and finally have all my old bookmarks --- with the addition of the the blank ones from the previous screw up. Cleaned up and everything is working for now .....

Not sure if any of this is relevant or if I just got lucky. Hated reverting to IE but desperate times call for desperate measures! Still watching and waiting for SOME FORM OF RESPONSE from xmarks and/or lastpass. Heads should roll for a debacle of this scale.
k21

Postby k21 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Concerning the above. While I did get my bookmarks restored .... they still will not sync. Same errors as before.

I finally got a response from the "premium" support ..... was given a lovely little link to a FAQ article. No actual help. No admission that they are even having major issues at the moment. Hey LastPass is this the type of support we can expect from your side of the house as well? Unless something majorly changes soon I definitely will NOT be renewing either service nor recommending it to anyone else. I regret even ever have recommending it. Your poor service now reflects poorly on me. At this point I'm not even sure I would use it if it were free ...........
k21

Postby bldrdrms » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:00 pm

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/xmarks-sync/reviews/

X marks is seriously broken and they dont have a clue! No response to "premium" LOL support.
bldrdrms

Postby jim356 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:05 am

Now is the time to download your LastPass data and stick it in safe on a flash drive or piece of paper so you have your passwords. If they mess up LastPass like they have Xmarks and then fail to communicate, it's good to have all your username/passwords tucked away in your own safe place.
jim356

Postby lgretton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 am

I have to agree. I think I can abandon Xmarks for Firefox Sync (I don't need to sync with other browsers), and I'll be looking at an alternative to LastPass now. I've been a paid-up user for years but the lack of support or adequate response to the Xmarks problems scares the hell out of me. I can't afford to lose data if they bugger LastPass too.
lgretton

Postby noconflicts » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:37 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. XMarks used to work well. I was just about to begin a paid subscription. I had to reinstall Firefox recently along with Xmarks. Since then I have had nothing but problems: syncs that never end, constant pop-ups asking me to login (after I already have for the umpteenth time), duplicate bookmarks and folders after a re-sync, and hours spent wasting time on this.

No way I'm going to pay for this. Now. I will be looking for an alternative as soon as I can get a good copy of my existing bookmarks.

I've been in customer service for over 37 years and the lack of response by Lastpass for issues that so many of their customers are experiencing does not bode well for the future of the company.
noconflicts

Postby ctina » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:29 pm

What they said!
ctina

Next

Return to Xmarks