Continual alert messages

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: azitnay, admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Continual alert messages

Postby bzolto400 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:47 pm

I had to download bookmarks that Xmarks somehow deleted. After is got my bookmarks back, I keep getting an alert saying uploaded or restored bookmarks from another computer (which I did). The alert goes on to say I can sync or download those bookmarks to this computer. Which do you prefer. I had already successfully downloaded the bookmarks before I started getting this alert message every ten minutes or so. How do I turn it off?
bzolto400

Re: Continual alert messages

Postby bzolto400 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:06 pm

And I just renewed Xmarks and this is what it does to me, not to mention having to get LastPass on my machine in order to ask for help. What a ripoff!
bzolto400

Postby bzolto400 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Any help out there?
bzolto400

Postby BobbyPhoenix791 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Sign out, and start over with the Setup Wizard, and choose to disregard bookmarks on the computer, and download a new set from the server. Also double check your profile if you're using one. It seems there are a lot of issues lately, so hopefully it will all be sorted out soon.
BobbyPhoenix791

Postby bzolto400 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:53 am

Did that and the alert messages seem to have stopped, but now I have duplicate bookmarks.
bzolto400

Postby BobbyPhoenix791 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:07 pm

bzolto400 Wrote:Did that and the alert messages seem to have stopped, but now I have duplicate bookmarks.

You shouldn't have duplicates unless the last sync did that before you started over. If you selected "merge with bookmarks" when running the wizard, it would do that. If you did select to disregard bookmarks on the computer then the best option would be to visit the xmarks site, and select a date of know good bookmarks to override what you currently have (Usually it's a day or two before you started having issues). That should replace the duplicates with one true set.
BobbyPhoenix791

Postby bzolto400 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:30 pm

I went to the xmarks site -- the duplicate bookmarks were there -- and tried to find an older set using the tools, I got an error message that there had been a sync problem and refreshing the page might fix it. I refreshed the page and all the bookmarks were gone. I think the best thing at this point is to manually delete the duplicate bookmarks on one of my two machines, upload those to the xmarks site and download them to the other machine. Or should I uninstall xmarks after deleting the duplicates and reinstall it? But how do I uninstall it? Its not in the Windows Programs and Features list.
bzolto400

Postby BobbyPhoenix791 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 pm

bzolto400 Wrote:I went to the xmarks site -- the duplicate bookmarks were there -- and tried to find an older set using the tools, I got an error message that there had been a sync problem and refreshing the page might fix it. I refreshed the page and all the bookmarks were gone. I think the best thing at this point is to manually delete the duplicate bookmarks on one of my two machines, upload those to the xmarks site and download them to the other machine. Or should I uninstall xmarks after deleting the duplicates and reinstall it? But how do I uninstall it? Its not in the Windows Programs and Features list.

Xmarks is a browser extension, so you'll find it either under the extensions page in Chrome, or the Add-ons page in Firefox. I don't think removing it will help, but your suggestion may. Sign out of xmarks, and then manually delete the duplicates. Then sign into xmarks by running the Setup Wizard again, but this time when you get to the bookmarks selection choose to keep bookmarks on the computer, and disregard those on the server. That should upload your correct set of bookmarks to be able to sync (download the first time on other computers) to your other browsers/computers. One note when you are done fixing your current set I would suggest exporting them locally through the browser's bookmark manager. That way if it messes up again you can simply import the locally saved set instead of having to manually fix them all over again.

One extra note is xmarks is still having issues. Mine is currently showing a red box with a ? in it, so it's best to sign out now, and fix them, but don't do the Wizard for a while. Maybe keep checking this site, or email support.
BobbyPhoenix791

Postby bzolto400 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:01 pm

I deleted the duplicates and uploaded that set. I downloaded it to the second computer. Now both computers have multiples sett\s of empty folders, although the single bookmarks still work. I don't know if you are an Xmark employee or a person trying to help, but the entire Xmark thing is messed up. I am going to get rid of it for now.
bzolto400

Postby bzolto400 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:14 pm

OK. I've restored them from backups. Is Xmarks safe to reinstall?
bzolto400

Next

Return to Xmarks