Getting as many a 50 new xmarks tabs for authentication

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: azitnay, admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Getting as many a 50 new xmarks tabs for authentication

Postby nedlevi105 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:39 am

I have Firefox 56 and I'm now getting about 50 new tabs over a 30 minute period asking me to authenticate my xmarks account. I'm getting this on all my Windows 7 and Windows 7 computers with Firefox 56 and Xmarks 4.5.0.4. Please help.
nedlevi105

Re: Getting as many a 50 new xmarks tabs for authentication

Postby philip456 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:38 am

Same for me with Firefox 57.0b11 (64-bit) and 57.0b12 (64-bit).
philip456

Postby michaelmouse » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:09 am

Same for me, the login authentication form appears multiple time with no interaction. Running Windows 10 pro, Firefox 56.0.2 64 bit, Xmarks 4.5.0.4. This has happened in the past, [a year or two ago?] Started again in the past [week?]
I just clicked the xmarks icon and the popup status windows says "Not synchronized". I logged into Xmarks on a separate tab before this. Same pop up shows "not logged in" when I am already logged in. I did not "run setup wiz" or "report bug" on that popup.
michaelmouse

Postby RickM » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:55 am

I was getting multiple login dialogs too last night. I tiied logging in entering data into one of these many dialogs and then click on X to get rid of the rest of them. This did not seem to work; on next Firefox load, I got multiple xmarks authentication dialogs again. Next I opened a separate FF tab, went to http://www.xmarks.com and logged in there. this login worked. then I logged in again with my info, into ONE of the xmarks authentication dialogs. I clicked on upper corner X to close each of the rest of them. Later on next firefox exit and restart, I no longer get multiple authentication dialogs.

Was then separate tab http://www.xmarks.com login, with the authentication dialog, the fix? I don't know; just one data point.
Also I am using older version (temporarily) of Firefox, v55.0.3 (because I went back to v55 so that xmarks and another add-ons I use, from breaking). Maybe this matters?
Xmarks add-on version is 4.5.0.4 so this is WebExtensions API version.
RickM

Postby nedlevi105 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:26 pm

It says I'm not logged in too and it says I've never sync'd,m however, when I login, the login screen never goes away and never logs me in. If I login via the web, it shows my bookmarks are clearly there. Since installing xmarks and its predecessor, I've sync'd thousands of times.
nedlevi105

Postby fangovk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:34 pm

.. same here, numerous xmarks authentication windows, only upon firefox restart xmarks works as usual .. no problems with login dough
http://tinypic.com/r/35j9w69/9

xmarks 4.5.0.4
firefox 56.0.2
win 10 x64
fangovk

Postby ElvisDumbledore » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Same behavior here. Firefox 56.0.2 (64-bit) Windows 10 Pro x64. Windows don't start to appear immediately. Usually it's when I've been afk for a while(hours).
ElvisDumbledore

Postby RickM » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Not a solution for everyone or even most; but my workaround is go back and use Firefox 55 and Xmarks 4.4.1
1. download old version of firefox, 55.0.3
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/55.0.3/ (for Windows, look in either win32 or win64 directory)
2. Remove add-on xmarks. exit, restart firefox
3. Uninstall firefox. restart PC.
4. install firefox 55.0.3 (It should re-use same profile, maintain your bookmarks, add-ons, etc )
5. install older Xmarks add-on, v 4.4.1
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... /versions/
6. Under firefox, Tools, Options, advanced (left margin panel), Update (top bar tab), choose "Never check for updates (not recommended: security risk)"

7. Wait for a few days, weeks?, month(s)? for these issues to get straightened out and for xmarks Webextensions version and latest firefox to become reliable again. Then update firefox and xmarks. I realize that this places me at security risk in the meantime.

I use Xmarks to sync my firefox history, and don't use it to sync bookmarks. When I tried using newest Xmarks 4.5.0.4, I do not know if there is an option to turn off Bookmark sync and choose only History sync, so I am reluctant to use the newest version.
RickM

Postby radiocam » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:44 am

@RickM

Not a solution for everyone or even most; but my workaround is go back and use Firefox 55 and Xmarks 4.4.1

+1 ... absolutely with you on this.
I'd already reverted my Firefox to 55.0.3 - It's frustrating when the creators of software lose touch with what their long-term users want ... or need. I just don't buy the "it's for your own good" line. I appreciate security - but not at the extreme expense of usability. If Mozilla actually cared about their users they would have made sure their new architectures did not alienate their developers who had long-term popular add-ons or plug-ins.
Sigh OK, /off soapbox.

Thanks for the tip on installing an older Xmarks. Finally have it working. Question: Do you know how to make sure Xmarks does not auto-update?

Cheers
radiocam

Postby RickM » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:48 am

" Question: Do you know how to make sure Xmarks does not auto-update? "

I don't have a good answer -- although I wish I did. I'm having the same problem, that Xmarks auto-updates from 4.4.1 to 4.5.0.4
One (manual, tedious) thing you can do, before Exiting Firefox is look under Tools, Add-ons and Xmarks. On one of my PCs, it showed a message that Xmarks would be updated the next time Firefox restarts. With options to restart, and to "Undo". I clicked Undo to stay at v4.4.1 I don't know if this choice will stick; or if I will have to repeatedly keep checking and clicking Undo.

Also, when I looked at Xmarks 4.4.1 options, I cannot find an option to turn off auto-updating.
However, under the newer Xmarks 4.5.0.4, that is one of the few options that is there. From Tools, Add-ons, Xmarks horizontal panel, click Options, and the Add-ons panel seemed to go full page to display info about Xmarks; with one option for auto-update: Default, On, or Off.
I have not tested this, but I wonder if turning OFF auto-update in vers 4.5.0.4; and then Remove 4.5.0.4 and installing Xmarks 4.4.1 (maybe with or maybe without restarting Firefox in between), might keep the auto-update-Off setting but have it work with v4.4.1
My guess is this won't work; that the auto-update value is only applicable to 4.5.0.4 but maybe it's worth a try.
RickM

Next

Return to Xmarks