How to control XMark on Android?

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

How to control XMark on Android?

Postby mmo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:02 pm

How does one control the XMark Android app?

The app installed fine and initially asked for credentials and then logged in and downloaded the bookmarks from the server. But that was months ago and my mobile bookmarks are hopelessly outdated by now and so I need to trigger a re-sync or re-download from the server. But how can I do that?

The manual (https://helpdesk.xmarks.com/premium-features/android/) speaks about a menu button that should allow to choose search, synchronize, account settings, etc. but there is no such menu in the application!

When I start the XMarks app there is a title line
[Xmarks logo] Xmarks

and underneath there is a list with four lines:
[folder icon] Bookmarks
[other icon] Open Remote Tabs
[folder icon] Other boomarks
[folder icon] Bookmarks toolbar

The first corresponds to my PCs entire bookmark list, the last to the Favorites bar.

I tried to click everywhere on that screen but there is no options or menu button anywhere!
Where does this menu hide??? Any suggestions?
mmo

Re: How to control XMark on Android?

Postby Buchegger » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 am

I had the same question and opened a support ticket. This was the answer:

Hi there,
You can sync your bookmarks from your Xmarks app on your Android device by triggering the menu page of the xmarks app.
If you are using a later version of Android OS (4.4, 5.1, 6.0 or even Android 7), you can trigger the menu page of Xmarks app by tapping and holding the "back" or "recent" button of your Android phone/device while in the Xmarks app.
Let me know if you need any further assistance.

This solution works on my Galaxy Tab S2 (Android 7.0), but not on my Oneplus 3 (Android 7.1.1). Hopefully you have the right device.
Buchegger

Postby mmo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:54 am

Hi Buchegger
I tested this and it works on my Tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 / Android 5.0.2) but it does NOT work on my phone (Galaxy S7 / Android 7.0).
So, there seems to be no way to update/resync the bookmarks on my phone other than un- and re-installing the SW???

LastPass! Wake up!
mmo

Postby Buchegger » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:32 am

I forgot to mention one thing: one my phone I can disable the hardware buttons and use the Android soft buttons (home, back, menu). When I do this, the 3-dot-menu appears in Xmarks and I can sync. This is of course no viable permanent solution. But if you can do the same on your Galaxy S7, it may be something you can do every once in a while.

Anyway - it does not look good for Xmarks on some platforms. Which is a pity, because there is no other product that can do what Xmarks does. I hate to see it falling apart. Lastpass & Xmarks are a fantastic combination.
Buchegger

Return to Xmarks