Xmarks and Firefox WebExtension compatibility

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Xmarks and Firefox WebExtension compatibility

Postby CharleneTX » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:30 pm

sparrowhawk334 Wrote:I'll echo the concerns many have expressed over the near complete lack of comment from both dev teams until the last week or so. Many people have already switched or are very seriously considering switching because of that lack of comment and response, and that's a shame, because they're pretty good products. I'm hardly a power- or long-time-user, but I've been pretty satisfied with them when they work. Hopefully, this was just a case of overworked developers being too tired to take five minutes to post a quick summary/answer to the many desperate inquiries that popped up in the forums. Anyway, thanks to the dev teams for getting the links to the betas out, at long last, and keep up the good work.

I finally found the forums to get some advice on how to get LP and XM working. I've had nothing but problems since FF 55. This is completely unacceptable for a product I pay an annual fee to use. I'm currently asking around to my friends for a LP replacement; there are plenty of password managers out there. I'm not so sure about finding an XM replacement. After years of subscribing, I'm DONE with this company.
CharleneTX

Postby fryrpc6 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:24 am

You could look at a Password Manager that allows you to store website URL's as items and keep your bookmarks in your vault.

I looked at doing this but the Password Managers I looked at were geared up to want to store a username/password too.

In the end I split the requirement - replace password manager - replace xmarks.
I moved from Lastpass Premium + XMarks to 1password + Chrome, after the 100% price increase.
I believe firefox also has a bookmarks syncing option but for me the chrome one allowed my bookmarks to be stored in my google account with the option enabled to use a sync password to independently encrypt them.
fryrpc6

Postby CharleneTX » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:04 pm

fryrpc6 Wrote:You could look at a Password Manager that allows you to store website URL's as items and keep your bookmarks in your vault.

I looked at doing this but the Password Managers I looked at were geared up to want to store a username/password too.

In the end I split the requirement - replace password manager - replace xmarks.
I moved from Lastpass Premium + XMarks to 1password + Chrome, after the 100% price increase.
I believe firefox also has a bookmarks syncing option but for me the chrome one allowed my bookmarks to be stored in my google account with the option enabled to use a sync password to independently encrypt them.

I'm fine with replacing LP and XM separately. There are plenty of password managers, so I'm not worried about finding a replacement for that.

The difficult one is XM. I use Firefox for Windows on my desktop and laptop, but not on mobile. FF sync requires FF on all devices to work.
CharleneTX

Postby lafritz213 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:12 am

CharleneTX Wrote:
I'm fine with replacing LP and XM separately. There are plenty of password managers, so I'm not worried about finding a replacement for that.

The difficult one is XM. I use Firefox for Windows on my desktop and laptop, but not on mobile. FF sync requires FF on all devices to work.

In my case I need a bookmark sync extension that works across Chrome & Firefox on my laptops and desktop, as I use them both frequently. That was the primary reason I have continued to use XM all these years after FF made vast improvements to their sync function. Yes, Chrome & FF have their own built-in sync functionality but that doesn't allow me to cleanly and easily sync between them.
lafritz213

Previous

Return to Xmarks