Xmarks and Firefox WebExtension compatibility

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Xmarks and Firefox WebExtension compatibility

Postby sfuller484 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:05 pm

https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/xmarks ... sions/beta – the first version of Xmarks supporting WebExtensions and e10s.

4.5.0.1a confirmed working in 56.0
sfuller484

Postby cgtyoder » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 pm

I am using the 4.5.0.1a in FF 55.0.3 and it seems to be working well - EXCEPT - my profiles are now gone. Not sure if this version is the culprit, but that's really annoying that I have to recreate them now.
cgtyoder

Re: Support firefox 55 Web Extensions

Postby alsore » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:25 am

What about Xmarks? Is it sucessfully going WE?
alsore

Postby SES21 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:29 pm

alsore Wrote:What about Xmarks? Is it sucessfully going WE?

The 4.5.0.1a version of Xmarks is working for me on Firefox 57 (Quantum) Beta.
SES21

Postby mareid01 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:01 am

I can't find anything that lets me enable or disable "show matching sites" in preferences. Where exactly is it?
mareid01

Xmarks doesn't work anymore with FF 56.0 (64-Bit)

Postby jochenholzer53 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Hello,
since the last Update of FF to 56.0 (64-Bit) on a Win10 64Bit System, Xmarks doesn't work anymore. The icon is grey and any item/button in the Options-Menu doesn't work. I'm not able to synchronize, login, select profiles, use options,....
I assume it's related to the change of AddOn types in FF...
Thanks for help or information
Jochen
jochenholzer53

Postby jochenholzer53 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:44 pm

I just installed 4.5.0.1a in 56.0.
First restart after install won't work. Second enables opening the LogIn Tab, but after several submits while logging in the Brower window changes to a very small one and size is not changeable anymore. Only solution is to close FF. After Restart same procedure again... and additional all opened tabs are opened again twice..
After next restart nothing happens anymore when clicking on the button.
So this release doen't work in any way for me.

I'm using
TabMixPlus
CookieMonster
LastPass
AllInOneSidebar
PageZoomButtons
AdblockPlus
jochenholzer53

Postby athurman721 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:11 pm

I use both Xmarks and LastPass regularly on multiple machines. I love the functionality that this combo gives me. However, like the above posts, I am VERY concerned that it will no longer be compatible going forward due to the WebExtension vs "Firefox Add-On" issues. Very soon (I am on FF 56 now), FF 57 will disable all "Legacy" extensions. Both are already starting to be buggy for me. Xmarks does not always sync and sometimes hangs up while trying to do so. LastPass does not remember that I have asked it to automatically load my Master Password so that whenever I start up Firefox it will know my user names & passwords. I know it is less secure this way, but it is more functional. Yet, it has not worked the way I wanted on SOME of my machines for awhile. I know that LogMeIn bought them out and Citrix owns them, but can't someone see that users need & want this functionality. I pay for LogMeIn Pro, yet that does not seem to help me with Xmarks & LastPass. Help!!! It is NOT reassuring that this forum so far seems to just be frustrated users on this topic and no admins...
athurman721

Postby lafritz213 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:34 pm

I'm going to add my feedback here.

I have been an Xmarks user since the days of Foxmarks, and then added LastPass to the mix after that merger. Now I, too, am concerned about the future of both on Firefox, which is my primary browser. Both have been exhibiting increasing problems. I am presently using Xmarks 4.5.0.2a (after I discovered Xmarks stopped working altogether) on Firefox 56.0 64-bit. Then, like cgtyoder, I realized today my Xmarks profiles are gone. As has been noted several times in this exchange, support for legacy extensions ends with the next release of Firefox, at which point both Xmarks and LastPass will be useless. And I note there has still not been a single admin reply here, nearly 3 weeks later. I sincerely hope I don't have to look for alternatives in the next few weeks, as the migration will be cumbersome. I also have pages of bookmarks and accounts setup between the two.
lafritz213

Postby sparrowhawk334 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 pm

sfuller484 Wrote:https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/xmarks-sync/versions/beta – the first version of Xmarks supporting WebExtensions and e10s.

4.5.0.1a confirmed working in 56.0

This appears to be working with FF58, as does the LastPass Beta from this link:
http://lastpass.com/lastpass_password_m ... -an+fx.xpi

I'll echo the concerns many have expressed over the near complete lack of comment from both dev teams until the last week or so. Many people have already switched or are very seriously considering switching because of that lack of comment and response, and that's a shame, because they're pretty good products. I'm hardly a power- or long-time-user, but I've been pretty satisfied with them when they work. Hopefully, this was just a case of overworked developers being too tired to take five minutes to post a quick summary/answer to the many desperate inquiries that popped up in the forums. Anyway, thanks to the dev teams for getting the links to the betas out, at long last, and keep up the good work.
sparrowhawk334

PreviousNext

Return to Xmarks