I have a lot of bookmarks, and I use XMarks for Chrome (main browser), Firefox & IE 10, on two Win10 computers (my desktop and my laptop). I love the functionality, but the bugs are driving me crazy.
The Chrome extension reports its version as 1.0.32. The IE version is 1.3.17. The Firefox Add-on version is 4.3.19.
The worst bug I've encountered is that XMarks keeps undoing changes to my bookmarks!
I just noticed it happening again: My bookmarks have suddenly and silently reverted to an earlier version, in all my browsers.
Today is 1/15/2017. The "current" bookmarks are dated 1/14/2017, but they've reverted to an OLD version, or at least they've undone changes which were still included in the 1/13/2017 version.
Then, after some days or weeks had passed, I noticed that some of the bookmarks had been silently moved from the subfolders back into the "HTML etc" folder. So I repeated the reorganization.
It happened again, and I repeated the work again.
I've lost track of how many times it has happened, now -- I think it has been about five times. Sometimes I redo the reorganization work, organizing the bookmarks manually. At least one time I've just found an earlier bookmark set, which predated the damage, and reverted to it.
Either way, it keeps happening.
I think I'm losing at least some of my recently added bookmarks each time, too.
Today I noticed it sooner than usual. The "current" (damaged) bookmarks show yesterday's date (1/14/2017), and the previous bookmarks (1/13/2017) are undamaged (except that I think I'm missing a couple of new bookmarks that I think created yesterday -- I wish I could remember what they were).
I viewed the two bookmarks set versions in Chrome from my.xmarks.com -> Tools -> "Explore & Restore Old Bookmarks..." The URL links to them (when I'm logged in to my.xmarks.com) are:https://my.xmarks.com/bookmarks/view/19 ... 01-13.html
(the good one)https://my.xmarks.com/bookmarks/view/19 ... 01-14.html
(the mangled one)
I saved them both as HTML pages from Chrome, into two files: the mangled current (1/14/2017) version, and the undamaged previous (1/13/2017) version, so that I could compare them. Here's a screenshot of a visual compare of the two files. As you can see, 22 bookmarks have been moved from seven subfolders into the parent "HTML etc" folder:http://www.burtonsys.com/xmarks_reverte ... gain01.png
The lines in the HTML file are very long, so they are truncated in that screenshot, but I can send the two saved bookmarks files to you if you wish.
I'd really like to understand what is going on, and prevent it from happening! The only clue I've noticed is that it only seems to happen when I use my laptop. Sometimes I go for weeks without using my laptop, and I don't think the problem has occurred during those periods.
I'm running the "Wappalyzer" and "uBlock Origin" extensions in Chrome on one computer, and "Adobe Acrobat" extension on the other - I doubt those could be causing the problem. In Chrome Settings (on both computers) I see a "Sign in to Chrome" button, so I'm sure Chrome is not trying to synchronize bookmarks.
I sure would like to get this solved!