Use Xmarks for Safari on iOS devices

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Use Xmarks for Safari on iOS devices

Postby stonebridge » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to use Xmarks for Safari on iOS devices like iPhone or iPad? The reason i ask is because i`m trying to always have the same setup of bookmarks on my PC, Mac, iPhone & iPad but it doesn`t work at all, to be honest it`s a real mess and iCloud is likely the culprit for the problems i have experienced. If i could use Xmarks also on the iOS devices, i am sure that would solve the issues and i could just disable iCloud and sync everything with Xmarks instead.

Is it technically possible to make Xmarks work for Safari on iOS?
And if so, are you considering adding support for this?
stonebridge

Re: Use Xmarks for Safari on iOS devices

Postby stonebridge » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Am i really the only one that wants to sync bookmarks between PC/Mac and iOS devices? Strange..
stonebridge

Postby MarcoA2O » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:32 pm

Greetings,

I too am interested in using Xmarks across several platforms, including iOS.

Regarding the apparent lack of response, I have the impression that this is a users forum and that the XMarks on iOS platform has suffered a loss of users, now that several browsers offer their own sync tools. On the other hand, those browser integrated tools are specific to those browsers, while Xmarks should straddle all types, so the degree of lack of response is rather puzzling.

While I am not able to offer advice regarding Xmarks for Safari {1}, I should mention that there is an Xmarks app for iOS.

Being a separate app, it requires additional steps, making it not as convenient as a Xmarks plugin/add-on. But it may work as a stopgap for you until a knowledgeable moderator or more experienced user notices your request.

I should note that it hasn't been working for me recently {2}, but that may be due to my use of older device/iOS {1}.

---
{1} It does not seem to work on my device (iPad 2 on iOS 9.1).
{2} I am able to access only the open tabs feature, the bookmarks list is blank.
---

Good luck.

Cordially,

Marco,
MarcoA2O

Postby stonebridge » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi Marco,

Yes, i agree. It is rather puzzling especially given that so many users today browse from multiple platforms including PC, MAC and not least iOS devices. Speaking for iOS, i always preferred the native browser (Safari) on my Macbook but also on my iPhone & iPad. I simply don`t want to use any other 3rd party browser on these platforms and i don`t think i`m alone to think so.
Syncing bookmarks between PC & Mac works well and have been for a long time now but the problem is when you add an iPhone & iPad to the mix. But i would assume that the majority of users would like to sync bookmarks also to iOS and this is what i don`t understand, the lack of response from LP/Xmarks.

I know there is a Xmarks app for iOS and i already use it to find specific bookmarks but i still prefer to browse using the native browser.

If there is a technical limitation that prevents syncing to iOS (Safari), then why can LastPass be integrated into Safari? If LP can, why not Xmarks as well?

Please anyone from LastPass, can you comment on this?
stonebridge

Postby dmitrijLP » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:17 pm

stonebridge Wrote:Hi Marco,

Yes, i agree. It is rather puzzling especially given that so many users today browse from multiple platforms including PC, MAC and not least iOS devices. Speaking for iOS, i always preferred the native browser (Safari) on my Macbook but also on my iPhone & iPad. I simply don`t want to use any other 3rd party browser on these platforms and i don`t think i`m alone to think so.
Syncing bookmarks between PC & Mac works well and have been for a long time now but the problem is when you add an iPhone & iPad to the mix. But i would assume that the majority of users would like to sync bookmarks also to iOS and this is what i don`t understand, the lack of response from LP/Xmarks.

I know there is a Xmarks app for iOS and i already use it to find specific bookmarks but i still prefer to browse using the native browser.

If there is a technical limitation that prevents syncing to iOS (Safari), then why can LastPass be integrated into Safari? If LP can, why not Xmarks as well?

Please anyone from LastPass, can you comment on this?

With Safari now supporting add-ons there are no technically limitations, Xmarks 'refresh' is on the roadmap and it will include iOS devices, unfortunately there is no available ETA for us to suggest.
dmitrijLP

Postby stonebridge » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:04 pm

dmitrijLP Wrote:With Safari now supporting add-ons there are no technically limitations, Xmarks 'refresh' is on the roadmap and it will include iOS devices, unfortunately there is no available ETA for us to suggest.

That sounds terrific dmitrij! Really looking forward to it and surely many others as well.
Thanks for the response :)
stonebridge

Postby Jorruchie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:14 am

dmitrijLP Wrote:With Safari now supporting add-ons there are no technically limitations, Xmarks 'refresh' is on the roadmap and it will include iOS devices, unfortunately there is no available ETA for us to suggest.

Any idea when this Xmarks 'refresh' will be available in the App Store?
Multiplatform bookmarks+password synchronization was the key feature for me to upgrade to the premium Lastpass+X-marks bundle... :(
Jorruchie

Postby Sheepie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Is there any update on this? I use Safari on my iOS devices simply because other browsers don't support adblock/password plugins, plus I can't set something else as a default. But syncing bookmarks is still a pain. If I set up xmarks in Safari on a mac then use iCloud to sync that to my iOS devices, my bookmarks very regularly corrupt, double up etc. The only reliable way is every so often to export from either FF or Chrome, then delete and import to Safari, THEN use iCloud to sync.

I'd like to get rid of the manual step as I often find myself on weekends and when out and about without a bookmark I desperately wanted but hadn't yet manually synced.

Is it even possible? Does iOS provide API's to modify safari bookmarks?
Sheepie

Postby stonebridge » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 am

I am also very interested to know if there is any progress made on this Xmarks refresh. Please anyone from Lastpass, comment if you can. Thanks :)
stonebridge

Postby cgtyoder » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:19 am

Yes - looking forward to a proper refresh of Xmarks for iOS. Can you give us any updates, LP employees?
cgtyoder

Next

Return to Xmarks