Error msg: "User is read-only"

Postby bpark56481 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:35 am

When I try to deduplicate or remove empty folders, I get this message:

"An error occurred: status=503 message=User is read-only"

What should I do now?
bpark56481

Re: Error msg: "User is read-only"

Postby dmitrijLP » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:25 pm

bpark56481 Wrote:When I try to deduplicate or remove empty folders, I get this message:

What should I do now?

This means you have duplicate bookmark sync enabled in one of your browser, please disable it by following this steps in all of your browsers - https://helpdesk.xmarks.com/troubleshoo ... okmarks-2/

Then if your ready only status will not be automatically cleared, please open a new ticket for further assistance - https://buy.xmarks.com/supportticket.php?lpnorefresh=1
dmitrijLP

Postby bpark56481 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Does that explain why there has also been no synching of my bookmarks since December?

FWIW, I have become so frustrated with Xmarks that I have signed out and deleted it from my computers. Even when Xmarks was synching, it was screwing up my bookmarks...many duplicates and repeated full listings, to the point where I had over 38,000 bookmarks. I have now chosen to rely on iCloud for synching, and everything is working much better. Xmarks (for me) was either seriously flawed or too unfriendly to use safely.
bpark56481

Postby dmitrijLP » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:27 pm

That does explain it. Since your profile is marked as read only, sync will not happen. If you have iCloud sync enabled together with Xmarks, it is likely causing this sync issues.
dmitrijLP

Postby bpark56481 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:16 pm

I had iCloud synch for Safari disabled while trying to use Xmarks.
bpark56481

Postby solesupreme » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:17 am

dmitrijLP Wrote:
bpark56481 Wrote:When I try to deduplicate or remove empty folders, I get this message:

What should I do now?

This means you have duplicate bookmark sync enabled in one of your browser, please disable it by following this steps in all of your browsers - https://helpdesk.xmarks.com/troubleshoo ... okmarks-2/

Then if your ready only status will not be automatically cleared, please open a new ticket for further assistance - https://buy.xmarks.com/supportticket.php?lpnorefresh=1

I have disabled automatic sync on all the systems I had it synced on, but one of my systems has crashed and I cannot log into it anymore, how long does it take for the session on that system to expire?
I still keep getting the following error: "An error occurred: status=503 message=User is read-only"
solesupreme

Postby dmitrijLP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:59 pm

solesupreme Wrote:
dmitrijLP Wrote:

What should I do now?

I have disabled automatic sync on all the systems I had it synced on, but one of my systems has crashed and I cannot log into it anymore, how long does it take for the session on that system to expire?
I still keep getting the following error: "An error occurred: status=503 message=User is read-only"

I have started a prune process for your account, will take up to 12 hours, if after 24 hours the same status will still be applied, please open a new ticket.
dmitrijLP

Postby SavannahJ » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:05 am

I'm having this same issue, except deactivating all my other sync services hasn't fixed anything. Firefox Sync was already disabled for my bookmarks on all my profiles, and I uninstalled Xmarks from Safari and disabled iCloud for Safari. I even uninstalled Xmarks on all my Firefox profiles, and just now reinstalled it. I can't even upload my local bookmarks to overwrite the server during setup. I get the message, "The server is currently unavailable. Please try again later." If I try to do it from settings, it just says "Changes Pending" and doesn't actually sync. What else can I do?
SavannahJ

Postby dmitrijLP » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:15 am

dmitrijLP

Postby hinder90 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Yeah, I just ran into this one as well, nearly a year later. I have cooked up a semi-functional method for syncing XMarks while having one computer with iCloud sync so my iOS devices have synced bookmarks, but once in a while things get wacky and I have to go in and do the dedupe tango. This time however, after painstakingly selected which bookmarks are the ones to keep out of over 13 thousand duplicates, I get this message AFTER I do all the legwork. SO. VERY. FRUSTRATING.

I have to wonder if this error is in fact tied with having another bookmark sync in play as I have been doing the above practice (which is of course strongly discouraged by XMarks) for over 2 years, but today is the first time I have ever seen this "503 - User Is Read-Only" message. Since it is clearly been active for at least a year, I am wondering why me- someone who has been "misbehaving" for over 2 years suddenly gets this message now? Also, to see that this user dmitrijLP is seeing this error and was NOT using another bookmark sync, I have to think they are not directly correlated. Related, maybe.

The concern I have is after doing all of this legwork again, even after turning off any other bookmark sync, I will still get this message. (Really, wouldn't it have been better to get this message BEFORE you go and check all the boxes for thousands and thousands of bookmarks? GAH!)

Honestly, considering that here in 2017 that people want to have their bookmarks synced not only on their computers but also their iPhones that XMarks would have figured out a way to get it to play nice with iCloud bookmark sync or even Chrome bookmark sync? I realize this is not a trivial problem, but considering it is literally XMarks' reason to exist that effort might be expended to this.
hinder90

Return to Xmarks