Lastapp_x64.exe Randomly Deleting off Hard Drive

Customer forum for LastPass Enterprise

Moderators: azitnay, admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Lastapp_x64.exe Randomly Deleting off Hard Drive

Postby andyj482 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:11 pm

Hey all. The Lastapp_x64.exe executable is randomly deleting itself off my hard drive, and I have no idea why.

I have BitDefender installed, but nothing in the logs show it messing with anything in the C:\Program Files(x86)\LastPass directory

Windows Defender is disabled.

I am running the latest Windows 10 1903 update, and I noticed that after installing that update is when the trouble began with Lastapp_x64.exe randomly deleting itself.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, or had any insight?

Thank you :)
andyj482

Re: Lastapp_x64.exe Randomly Deleting off Hard Drive

Postby andyj482 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:09 am

Any updates? I re-installed LastPass for Applications again on Wednesday, everything was fine Thursday, and when I came in today it was gone again :(
andyj482

Re: Lastapp_x64.exe Randomly Deleting off Hard Drive

Postby andyj482 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:12 am

This is pretty random, but in my troubleshooting efforts I *FINALLY* got a Windows error code thrown that seemed to be related to LastApp deleting itself.

The error in full was:
C:\Program Files (x86)\LastPass\lastapphook_x64.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc0000428

After doing some digging, I discovered this *could* be related to that DLL not being properly signed. I went into the BIOS and disabled Driver Signature Enforcement by doing the following:

1) Hold Windows Key + I and select Update and Security
2) Select Recovery
3) Locate Advanced Startup and click Restart Now
4) When the system reboots, select Troubleshoot
5) Click Advanced and select Startup Settings
6) At this point, you may have to click "Restart Now" and let Windows 10 do a "full restart" then repeat steps 4 and 5 to get back to the Startup Settings menu
7) Press F7 to disable Driver Signature Enforcement

I'm going to update this in a few days/weeks assuming my "fix" worked. If it does, it seems to me that how LastPass has the lastapphook_x64.dll file signed isn't compatible with Windows 1903 for some reason.
andyj482

Return to LastPass Enterprise