New Logo tomorrow - so what?

Customer forum for LastPass Enterprise

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

New Logo tomorrow - so what?

Postby RRRick » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:52 am

I received an email from Joe Siegrist (do-not-reply-support@lastpass.com) regarding the Logo update:
"Tomorrow we will be unveiling a new LastPass logo that you’ll soon be seeing across our entire service. We know that the security of your password manager is important so we wanted to give you advance notice of these upcoming changes to LastPass"

So what! Why are you wasting valuable resources overhauling the cosmetics of the program?

The redesigned interface is garish and cumbersome. Read the forum comments. Have a blind focus group A/B test. Nobody thinks its an improvement except your paid staff. Now if I was 75% blind, it would be a helpful option. But, please make it an option, or at least keep an option for the "legacy interface" which is tried and proven and loved by all your subscribers.

From the "Spin" department:
Our new logo and icon reflects our new design with LastPass 4.0 — fresh, bold, simple, colorful, modern, and user-friendly....

Now you have ruined the logo. The asterisks were the best part of the logo. Another step back backwards.
How much did you pay a wall street advertising agency to suggest you drop the ***asterisks **** and replace them with dots?

How much did it cost to take the minimalist logo Black and Red on white background to ruin it by making it garish to match the bloated "new interface" ?

As a CEO, was this your idea? Or is the Wall Street agency or LogMeIn to blame? .

Time and money is better spent working on the broken features of the product.
For Example:
LastPass for Desktop is mostly useless. You have to activate, then use Ctrl-F on almost every app, and some of the newer apps with Java login prompts do not work at all. Trying to use LastPass for desktops with Remote Desktop Server logins is completely useless.

Users don't care what it looks like, to a point, as long as it is functional as the best product on the planet, it will outsell all the others. Hasn't anyone realized that users do not like change? Windows 8 is the perfect example here. Maybe you should rename the product to LastPass Enterprise Metro, or learn the Microsoft lesson and call it[u] Last Pass Enterprise 10.[/u]

I don't get it, I will not be renewing my subscription when it becomes due in a few months. The interface is ruined and nothing has been done to enhance features. You just blew stuff up +50% and used some different crayons to re-color it. Now you are trying to convince me with spin, that its the product is "all that", but I'm not buying it.

Rickkee Ranton (and on and on and on)
RRRick

Re: New Logo tomorrow - so what?

Postby jpenny84 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:59 am

A lawsuit over the old logo is part of the reason why they're changing it.
jpenny84

Postby Rkdon818 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:33 pm

What is this lawsuit they mention? I can't find anything about it.
Rkdon818

Postby jpenny84 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:27 pm

Rkdon818 Wrote:What is this lawsuit they mention? I can't find anything about it.

A well known internet brokerage and financial services firm with a similar logo filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against LastPass in 2015.
jpenny84

Postby bcalley554 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:23 am

I'm really impressed with the amount of rage that is coming from a logo change. Really. It's quite impressive. :/
bcalley554

Postby passweird » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:49 pm

A well known internet brokerage and financial services firm

It was E*Trade. I'm not sure what the reason to be coy about it would be. It's public record, available in PACER. Filed in the Southern District of New York in March 2015, resolved Jan 2016. If you look at the E*Trade logo, it is extremely similar — the orientation of the asterisk, the arc between spines, the width of the stroke. The only obvious difference is the color. I'm not going to pass judgement here on whether LastPass was infringing or whether E*Trade was right to file the suit, but you can at least see how an aggressive trademark lawyer would take issue with the similarity.
passweird

Postby JimRaynor » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:40 am

bcalley554 Wrote:I'm really impressed with the amount of rage that is coming from a logo change. Really. It's quite impressive. :/

Agreed ;) Didn't know that someone that furious on a logo change and missed the reason part they mentioned.

Ah so it's E*trade, at first I guess it was Asterisk (PBX) - a software that allow writing script for VoIP services. You can check the orange asterisk in their logo.

Intellectual Properties and Brand name protection are getting to a ridiculous level never seen before :shock: . Sometimes it sounds to me that a guy could file a lawsuit because his chair - which he calls "Wonderful seating device" or so - has four legs, a back, two arms - and everybody is violating is registered "design" (check some of the points Apple sue Samsung on the design of the phone, you'll know what I mean).

To my understanding, the old LastPass logo was not the asterisk alone. The asterisk was rather a part of it: Last (in black) + Pass (in red) + the asterisk = LastPass logo, pretty much like with Etrade: the asterisk is part of their logo: E*trade or E*TRADE FINANCIAL. Don't know if they can sue Asterisk PBX for their orange asterisk. :lol:
JimRaynor

Postby Manohagi » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:58 pm

This is absurd. The design of the E...trade logo is completely different. The only thing it has in common is the use of an asterisk. Maybe the E Entertainment Network should sue E...Trade for using the letter E.

Where do they get off thinking that they get to trademark the asterisk itself? Lastpass most likely felt that the claim had no merit, but it was probably cheaper to change it than to fight it. But I'm surprised that they are being obtuse. I don't expect that E...trade will get more business now that this change has been made, I don't think they lost any before, I don't think there was any confusion or anybody who bought Lastpass because they thought it was part of E...trade, and I'm certainly not going to start using E...trade because of this.

Back when E...trade was new, I wasn't all that satisfied with them as a broker, and ended up moving everything over to Fidelity even though commissions were several times as high. I thought it was worth it in order to get more professional treatment and services. Since that time, commissions have dropped across the board and E...trade doesn't even offer an advantage in that respect. When you do something stupid, claim it's for your own protection, but about 100% of people (rounded) will see that you are being a bully, it isn't going to help.
Manohagi

Postby dcmargo54 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:54 pm

E*Trade is being rather petty, I think.
dcmargo54

Postby aaronw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Here are links to the the case summary and info on the NY Southern District Court's public documents site:

https://ecf.nysd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/q ... .pl?439992

https://ecf.nysd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/i ... .pl?439992

(FYI: (free) registration (on pacer.gov) is required in order to access the site, and it charges (somewhat absurdly, I think) $0.10 per "page" of result -- though apparently it only bills quarterly and will not bill accounts whose balance is less than $15 ... I racked up $0.60 searching for this.)
aaronw

Next

Return to LastPass Enterprise