Adding browsers to existing account

Customer forum for LastPass Enterprise

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Adding browsers to existing account

Postby kjlaw4834 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Wondering what is the correct way to install LastPass when you have multiple window systems in your home and multiple browers on each system and you want to share a single LastPass account with all of them. Let me explain why I have this question.

I initially installed LastPass on my windows 7 laptop computer. During installation, I only selected to have it installed on my waterfox browser since I was not sure yet whether I wanted to quit using Norton Identity Safe that I use when I am using IE. I then populated the LastPass vault with several of my favorite sites that require userid/passwords. This worked pretty good so I then installed on my windows 7 desktop computer with expectation that it would use the same LastPass account that I created from my laptop, I used the same LastPass userid and password for my LastPass account and to my surprise, the vault was empty. Furthermore, when I went back to my laptop, I discovered everything I added for web sites was lost. Yikes, that did not make me happy.

So I began the process of adding the sites again. Now that I had LassPass installed on both computers, each time I added a web site, it would appear in the vault on both machines. That is exactly what I expected to occur. So everything is fine now, but still was unsure why I losted my initial population of the vault that I created from my laptop and then installed on my desktop. It is almost like you need to have LastPass installed on every device and every browser before you begin to enter any web sites.

So this brings me to my current question. I currently have LastPass installed on both laptop and desktop for waterfox browser. Now I am thinking I want to add LastPass extension to IE on both machines and disable the use of Norton Identity Safe. However, I am afraid to do this since it appears I have to run the installer again and select which browsers I want to install in it. I assume I would select both IE and firefox. Or would I only select IE?

Once that question is answered, my real concern is whether I going to lose the contents of my entire LastPass vault, just like what happened when I first installed in waterfox on laptop, populated value, and then installed for waterfox on my desktop. That lost my entire vault contents and I am worried if I now try to add IE on both systems I will again lose my entire vault contents. So the question is whether I am doing something wrong or whether there is a bug in LastPass.
kjlaw4834

Re: Adding browsers to existing account

Postby jpenny84 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:21 pm

Just run the universal installer on each computer which you want LastPass on. It's okay to include all browsers and overwrite existing extension installations, but you can do whatever you want.

Your information is automatically backed up, so you won't lose your vault contents. Consult the following support article if one or more sites in your vault are missing: https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=976
jpenny84

Re: Adding browsers to existing account

Postby kjlaw4834 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 pm

Thank you jpenny84. I followed your instructions and had no problems at all. My vault contents did not disappear.
kjlaw4834

Return to LastPass Enterprise