iCloud Keychain

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

iCloud Keychain

Postby Bubbly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 am

I haven't heard anything from you guys yet. What do you think about the news from WWDC? Perhaps blog about it? :)

- iCloud Keychain
- Safari's password manager has been updated as well

Plus: has anyone checked out whether or not OS X Keychain.app has been updated? And if so, what's new?
Bubbly

Re: iCloud Keychain

Postby JoeSiegrist » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 am

- Great to see the market being educated about the needs to use strong random passwords per site -- growing the category is a good thing
- We obviously have way more capabilities and functionality -- this will be Apple ecosystem only.
- Sad to see that developers won't have the ability to plug into Mobile Safari like this new password manager will -- frustrating to watch giant companies make moves like this while they don't allow competition, or even replacement of the default browser...
JoeSiegrist

Postby jonat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:25 am

An interesting read: http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/11/critic ... ependable/ Apple is "shutting the door" on developers ability to enhance the iOS experience beyond the "simple" cartoonish version Jony Ive is so fond of.
jonat

Postby kilgry » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Agree with Joe, and is one reason I do not purchase Apple products (though am forced to use them at times). Apple is great at simplicity, but monopolies are bad.

I think Apple will still need to prove they know how to do password management and security properly. Apple has a hit and miss history on these items. iCloud security (along with multifactor) is an example of doing it wrong: http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05 ... your-data/
kilgry

Postby Bubbly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks for the replies! :)

I'm wondering what LastPass' next step will be on iOS / OS X now with Apple's promise of more APIs.
Bubbly

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:59 am

Bubbly Wrote:I'm wondering what LastPass' next step will be on iOS / OS X now with Apple's promise of more APIs.

Where did they make this promise? We'd absolutely love to support more but Apple has been committed to sandboxing capabilities away.
JoeSiegrist

Postby Bubbly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:22 pm

D11, I watched that (live?) prior to WWDC.

http://allthingsd.com/20130529/apples-t ... iew-video/
Bubbly

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Bubbly Wrote:D11, I watched that (live?) prior to WWDC. http://allthingsd.com/20130529/apples-t ... iew-video/

WWDC would have been the logical place to roll those out if they were going to do it -- the fact that they didn't is telling...
JoeSiegrist

Postby Cyberskier » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:10 pm

I think many users will be disappointed by how locked down iCloud keychain is. If it is possible within Apple's sandbox, a big draw for people might be a premium LastPass feature that would periodically (or manually on demand) sync with the keychain. That would be the best of both worlds - keep using LastPass, while being able to shuttle those passwords into the keychain for easy use in Safari on iOS.
Cyberskier

Postby krazyderek » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:38 pm

I think iOS is clearly one of LastPass's weaknesses, albeit because of apple's strong hold on default iOS browser (a la, IE with early windows). I wonder if just loging into your frequent sites using lastpass in safari (desktop) will prompt iCloud keychain to pickup on the logins and store them so they're 'synced' to iCloud.
krazyderek

Next

Return to Off Topic