How do you carry your Yubikey around?

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

How do you carry your Yubikey around?

Postby XIII » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Currently I carry my Yubikey in the (empty!) cash compartment of my wallet. Since I hardly use cash these days (and I have stored most of my membership cards in LastPass, always available on my iPhone) I'd like to replace this rather big wallet with a minimal wallet (only room for some plastic cards and a few folded bills). However, that would mean I need a new way to carry around my Yubikey. I'm afraid I might damage it if I just wear it on my keychain.

How do you carry your Yubikey? Tips and pictures are welcome!
XIII

Re: How do you carry your Yubikey around?

Postby jonat » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:01 pm

It's on my keychain, though I have a key "wallet" that keeps the keys from being bumped around. The Yubikey is pretty rugged - I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you tend to bend your keys.
jonat

Postby droid » Wed May 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Just buy two YubiKeys and keep one safe from damage. The other one goes at the keychain.
droid

Postby XIII » Thu May 09, 2013 9:10 am

droid Wrote:Just buy two YubiKeys and keep one safe from damage. The other one goes at the keychain.

Do you already couple the "safe" one to LastPass, or only once the one on the keychain is damaged?
XIII

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 am

I have it on my keychain...

Now that Google Authenticator can be used with Yubikey the process around mobile phones without NFC is easier too.
JoeSiegrist

Postby droid » Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm

XIII Wrote:
droid Wrote:Just buy two YubiKeys and keep one safe from damage. The other one goes at the keychain.

Do you already couple the "safe" one to LastPass, or only once the one on the keychain is damaged?

Yeah I have it already activated and keep it in a safe place. (It still needs the master password + the safe location of the second key) I'm fine with that security wise.
droid

Postby kilgry » Thu May 09, 2013 5:59 pm

two yubikeys...both on keychains...one for wife and one for me.

BTW, if you trust one of your PCs, if you loss your Yubikey, you can just disable it in LP. Just another option.
kilgry

Postby 6xG7R2rKtFmg6ha » Sun May 26, 2013 7:34 pm

@joesiegrist, would you elaborate on 'now that google authenticator can be used with yubikey ...' please.
6xG7R2rKtFmg6ha

Postby jonat » Mon May 27, 2013 11:56 am

I can do that. All you need is to have both Yubikey and GA enabled in Account Settings. If you are on a device that supports Yubikey, then LP will ask you for it, otherwise it will ask for GA. I don't see a way to use GA when LP thinks you can use Yubikey, though.
jonat

Postby braxt0n » Fri May 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Better late than never... a company called bladekey(.com) make a handy little holder for your keys and with a little bit of sanding/whittling you can make it fit.
braxt0n

Return to Off Topic