What happens when email is changed?

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

What happens when email is changed?

Postby Sunshine21 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:58 am

What happens when we change emails to our account, will the previous email that we used be kept as history so that in case someone was able to hack our LP account then support can trace what happened?

Say, I registered with email 1 then someone hacked my account and changed my account email. If I report that the email I registered (email 1) is being detected as unknown email, can LP support trace my account back using email 1? Or is email 1 deleted completely from data base right at the very moment it is changed?
Sunshine21

Re: What happens when email is changed?

Postby kotor610 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm really sorry to hear this. unfortunately your options are quite limited. there are a few avenues of hope that i have found.

do you have access to the email address that you originally had set up the account under? if so you should check your inbox as soon as possible. an automatic response is automatically sent to your inbox. if it isn't there it may be in your trash folder,

if you are unable to have found it your next bet is if you set up a recovery email. this is not something that is done at the start but can be vital step to protecting yourself. if you click on the link at the bottom of the post then it will send you a revert message. this will allow you to log in with the previous email.

https://lastpass.com/revert.php
kotor610

Postby Sunshine21 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:29 am

kotor610 Wrote:I'm really sorry to hear this. unfortunately your options are quite limited. there are a few avenues of hope that i have found.

do you have access to the email address that you originally had set up the account under? if so you should check your inbox as soon as possible. an automatic response is automatically sent to your inbox. if it isn't there it may be in your trash folder,

if you are unable to have found it your next bet is if you set up a recovery email. this is not something that is done at the start but can be vital step to protecting yourself. if you click on the link at the bottom of the post then it will send you a revert message. this will allow you to log in with the previous email.

https://lastpass.com/revert.php

Hi Kotor,

Yes I still have access to my email and there was no notification whatsoever that my last pass account's email have been changed. I clicked on the link you sent me and when I pasted my email, it says user does not exist. :(

Have my account been deleted by accident or something?
Sunshine21

Postby kotor610 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:13 am

unfortunately there are only a finite number of options to recover your account. and sadly i can't seem to find any more options to solve your dilemma. as you can imagine you can only design so many fail safes before you risk security vulnerabilities. you can go contact LastPass directly, but i am unsure if they will be able to resolve your issue. i would change the password on all of my accounts (or at least vital sites) just to be safe.

once again i am sorry for this happening. I'd be more than willing to help you strengthen your account if you so choose, but if you decline i understand.

i understand your frustration, I've been trying the better part of today to find a solution, but was unable to find anything viable.
kotor610

Return to Off Topic